5

"ValleyClan and StoneClan are already here." Mothstar observed from the top of the ravine.

Frostpaw pushed past the cats blocking her view and peered curiously down the slope. A dozen or so cats, in several small groups, talked amongst themselves. The earthy smells of ValleyClan and the dry scent of StoneClan all wafted towards the clowder of PineClan cats. Curiously, Frostpaw opened her mouth to taste the scents.

"Remember," Riverpelt started gently, resting her tail on Frostpaw's shoulder, "Don't make friends with another Clan's cats. And do not share any weakness PineClan has- that means how small we are."

Frostpaw flicked her ears. She would never befriend another cat outside of PineClan: there was no reason to trust them. They were thieves that attack the moment a tail is turned.

Or... so she'd been told, Frostpaw thought, as she'd never personally witnessed an attack. Prey has been abundant as long as she could remember. Even in leaf-bare, when there were so few PineClan mouths to feed, the drop of prey in the cold season pulled a less-than-major threat.

"Listen to what they have to say, too." Cricketlegs added, "There's a truce tonight, but that won't last. Tomorrow we'll be enemies again. If they have a weakness, we need to know."

Despite the temperate earth under her pads, Frostpaw's feet felt cold, and a pebble settled in her stomach. What if the truce broke and these cats attacked? PineClan would be outnumbered.

Would any StoneClan cat's who've witnessed the bickering that day on dawn patrol attend? What would they say to the other Clancats?

"Ready?" Whitefeet asked Mothstar. Frostpaw looked at their leader, suddenly realizing how much older he was getting. His muzzle was dotted in white fur, and his brown pelt was becoming dull. How many lives did he have left?

Mothstar flicked his tail and all at once PineClan began to slide down the slope of the ravine. StoneClan and ValleyClan all turned their heads to face the arrivals.

After reaching the bottom, Frostpaw bounded towards her mother, who was padding towards two she-cats. "Hello, Mousefur. Whitepaw." She dipped her head towards the cats.

"Hello, Riverpelt." The soft-grey she-cat purred.

"It's Whitemuzzle now." The smaller cat boasted. She had a black pelt and white face. They each smelled like StoneClan. Did they see Needlepelt and Cricketlegs bicker?

"Who's this?" Mousefur asked, nodding towards Frostpaw, who took an uncertain step back under the she-cats curious yellow eyes.

"This is my daughter, Frostpaw." Riverpelt said fondly, "This is her first Gathering."

"Your first Gathering always goes by in a blur." Mousefur commented, giving Frostpaw a gentle look.

Then, a tumbling sound. Frostpaw shot her head around, half expecting to find unsheathed claws pouncing at her, but instead found a MarshClan cat picking himself up from the bottom of the ravine. Had he just tripped down the slope? Frostpaw wondered, and thanked StarClan she wasn't in his fur.

The dark grey, black-eared, broad tom got to his feet. Another Marshcat approached hurriedly and said something to the tom, and Frostpaw couldn't determine if it was a medicine cat checking for injuries, or a warrior roasting him.

"I haven't seen him before." Riverpelt said quietly, "It must be his first Gathering."

Frostpaw watched curiously. The tom shook out his fur and bounded towards the rest of the Gathering cats, acting as though nothing happened. Didn't he realize the eyes of every cat was on him?