10

Nine days had passed since Mothstar's buriel and the Clancats were slowly recovering from the pain of losing their gentle leader. After receiving his nine lives, Whitestar called for Crowfur as his deputy. The Clan approved the decision, Crowfur being the stern, responsible tom he is would make a great deputy.

  Last night, Whitestar, Crowfur, Cricketlegs, Dawnheart, Needlepelt, Frostpaw, and Mosspaw had attended the Gathering. This was Frostpaw's second time going, and the ceremony had been quick. Somehow though, it felt different without Mothstar on The Oak.

  Currently, Frostpaw and Cricketlegs were gathering wet moss for the queens. The hot forest air sank into Frostpaw's pelt, tiring her.

  Cricketlegs had been leading the duo back to camp, walking a foxlength ahead. He paused and looked over his shoulder to his apprentice, who tried to quicken her pace under his brown-eyed gaze. The bundle of moss in his jaws dripped a steady stream of water.

  As she got closer, Cricketlegs placed the tip of his tail beneath Frostpaw's chin and urged her to raise her head. Frostpaw's neck ached, her small size made it difficult to carry heavy water-soaked moss without letting it drag on the forest floor. She envied Cricketlegs unusually long limbs at times like this.

  Straining her head up, Frostpaw bit tightly into the moss. Her chest and front legs were soaked, but she did her best to ignore the fur sticking uncomfortably to her skin. Determined, she pressed onward, passing Cricketlegs where he stood and approached camp.

  The hot greenleaf sun scalded Frostpaw's fur as she left the shade of the pines, entering the clearing. Needlepelt past her as he left the camp.

  Frostpaw led her mentor towards the nursery, where she slipped inside the small entrance easily. She set her moss by Sunfur, who was nursing Duskkit and Doekit.

  "Thank you." Sunfur yawned. Frostpaw watched her kits with her ears perked, and green eyes wide. They were kneading hungrily at their mother's belly, paying no mind towards the apprentice. Their eyes had opened and their ears were unfolding now, but they still had a lot of growing to do.

  Cricketlegs struggled into the nursery and Frostpaw twitched her whiskers in amusement at the lanky tom. Her size came with an advantage too, she realized.

  He set the moss by Warmheart, who dipped her head in thanks. Her litter laid in a large, sleeping pile next to her. "I can't remember the last time the nursery's been so cramped." Cricketlegs purred quietly. He had to hunch near the nurserys opening to fit inside, and even little Frostpaw sat tightly in her spot.

  Warmheart nodded, "It's certainly been some moons."

  "Just one more season before your brood moves in with the apprentices and I have this den all to myself." Sunfur teased.

  Warmheart purred proudly. "They'll make fine warriors, all of them."

  Doekit cried suddenly, startling Frostpaw. Sunfur sniffed her kit attentively, then lapped at her flank till she settled. Her eyes, blue and large, stared at Frostpaw, who shifted the weight on her paws awkwardly.

  "She can't see very well yet," Sunfur explained, "You're an unusual white blur to her, Frostpaw, she's trying to recognize you."

  Frostpaw tilted her head and returned the kits gaze. "Will her eyes stay blue?" She asked.

  Sunfur shook her head, "Likely not."

  Duskkit stirred next to Doekit. He'd finished his meal, and satisfied, rolled onto his back, sleeping heavily.

  "Thank you again for the water." Warmheart said, lapping at the moss.

  "Of course." Cricketlegs said with a dip of his head. "Don't hesitate to ask for anything else."

  Sunfur rolled onto her side, closing her eyes and breathing gently while Cricketlegs and Frostpaw crawled out of the milky-warm scent of the nursery.