23. Time to Fight

Saturday, 7 AM

The Chauhan house was filled with his happiness. The entire family was together celebrating the 57th birthday of Mr. Baldev Chauhan. Everyone was sitting in the living room. Baldev was sitting on the sofa, with his daughter sitting next to him. Ashutosh was sitting on a chair nearby. Asha and Shefali come with tea and snacks, and keep on them on the center table. 

Baldev - "Shefali, come sit next to me."

Shefali (shocked) - "But papaji..."

Baldev - "I am your father. Will you refuse my wish, that too on my birthday?"

Shefali gives a small smile and sits next to Baldev. Asha sits on a chair, near Ashutosh.

Baldev - "You are my elder daughter. You have every right on me. Just like Ayu has. And don't use this 'jii'...it makes me feel like an old man. Use this for your mother. She is an old woman."

Asha - "Excuse me. I am younger than you."

Baldev - "Yes, that is why, you always complain that your joints are paining. You know Shefali, every time I try to romance, she complains of body pain."

Shefali's eyes widen at this statement. She lowers her head to stop herself from laughing.

Ayushi - "What have you done, bhabhi?"

Shefali - "What did I do?"

Ayushi - "You did not laugh. It is the rule in this house that you cannot stop your laughter. You did wrong."

Shefali frowns at first. Slowly, her lips curl into a big smile. Seeing her smile genuinely, Ashutosh also smiled. The family kept enjoying the entire morning. Shefali could not help but feel cheerful. It was the first time, she was having some family time. Though her participation was negligible, she felt happy being a part of this lovely family. They spent hours like this and finally everyone moved to their respective rooms.

Ashutosh-Shefali's Room

Shefali was sitting on the bed, thinking about how her life used to be and how it is now. She could not stop herself from comparing them. Her thoughts were interrupted by Ashutosh, who was now sitting next to her. 

Ashutosh - "What are you thinking?"

Shefali - "Just thinking about the changes in my life. I was never allowed to sit with my father in family gatherings. My father never pampered me. And now..."

Ashutosh smiled. 

Ashutosh - "Did you never wish to run away from the house to escape this marriage?"

Shefali - "I thought of it. But...they are my parents, Ashu, I cannot bring shame to them."

Ashutosh (bitterly) - "Even after what they have done to you, you are thinking about them?"  

Shefali - "They might not be good parents. But I am their good daughter."

Ashutosh (raising his voice) - "Good parents. They don't deserve to be addressed as parents. Or even humans."

Shefali - "Ashu, calm down. You don't have to scream and shout. I understand your emotions."

Ashutosh takes a deep breath to calm himself. The doorbell rings and a minute later, they hear Ayushi screaming for them to come.

Living Room

Ashutosh and Shefali enter the room to find Mr. Brijesh Singh standing with Ayushi. They understand the reason for Ayushi's scream. Baldev and Asha also enter the living room.

Baldev - "Ayushi, there was no need to scream so loudly. What impression are you putting on a guest?"

Ayushi grins sheepishly. Baldev shakes his head and moves forward to greet Brijesh. Both the friends meet each other and exchange formalities. Ayushi walks to Ashutosh and Shefali.

Ayushi (whispering to Ashutosh) - "Beware Bhai, he will do something to hurt Bhabhi."

Ashutosh nods. His past conversations with his father-in-law were not very good. He ended up losing his anger both the times. And now, when this man was in front of him, he could not help but remember all his wife had gone through. His anger was at its peak. He wanted to throw him out of his house. But he knew Shefali won't approve. He thought of something.

Ashutosh - "Shefali, please get some water for uncle. No uncle, you will not refuse. This is your friend's house ."

Brijesh - "As you say, son."

Shefali goes to the kitchen. Everyone settles down. Ayushi pinches Ashutosh to express her anger but his words calm her down.

Ashutosh (whispering to Ayushi) - "Talk about how much you enjoyed with Shefali. Don't forget to mention Harry Potter."

She nods. Shefali comes with water and snacks. She serves and stands behind Ashutosh. Fear was evident on her face. Asha looked at her face and read her expression. She silently questioned Ashutosh, who gestured to wait.

Brijesh - "Baldev, I was thinking to take Shefali with me for a day. She can come back tomorrow."

Before anyone could react, Ayushi spoke.

Ayushi - "No. Please don't take my Bhabhi away. As it is she will go tomorrow. Then I will miss her. Bhabhi, please don't go naa. We were  not able to watch Harry Potter also."

Ayushi's statement surprises her parents. They knew her well to understand that there was something else in her mind. They kept silent to see where this was going. But Brijesh could not control his curiosity.

Brijesh - "Harry Potter?"

Ayushi - "Yes, we were able to watch only three parts of Harry Potter movie. Rest are remaining."

Ashutosh - "Don't worry. I will watch them with Shefali."

Ayushi looks at him in fake anger.

Brijesh - "Oh! You people have been watching Harry Potter?"

He says this looking at Shefali. The anger in his voice did not go unnoticed by Baldev and Asha.

Brijesh - "Ayushi, like you will miss your Bhabhi. Her mother also misses her. Let her come."

Ashutosh - "We will discuss that later. Shefali, did you give your phone number to your father."

Brijesh (shocked) - "Phone number?"

Ashutosh - "Ah! Yes. I will send it to you. Shefali, why are you standing? Come sit next to me."

Saying so, Ashutosh pulls her and makes her sit with him.

All this was too much for Brijesh to handle. He just could not tolerate everything he was hearing. His anger was increasing.

____________________________________

So, how is it? What will Brijesh do now? How will Ashutosh react? How will Asha and Baldev react?

Readers, writing is not my profession. I am a student. I write to express myself. I write because I like doing it. I try to give regular updates but if I cannot, then please try to understand. Everyone has a life outside Wattpad. We have responsibilities which are bigger than giving regular updates. So, next time try to understand if an author does not give you regular updates.

~Purnima