1. The Shock

Shefali's POV

"My decision is final. Day after tomorrow is your engagement and exactly after ten days, you will marry my friend's son." These words were said by my father, Mr. Brijesh Singh. 

I fell down to his feet.

"Please don't do this Papa. I beg you. Please don't do this."

Papa spoke harshly, "No. You have brought shame to us. In our society, girls do not raise their voice. I was a fool to allow you to study. But now I will rectify my mistake. Enough of your studies. This is your punishment for raising your voice."

Saying so, he left my room. I looked at my mother, Mrs Rajeshwari Singh, for help but her eyes were also expressing anger. She too left the room.

Have I really done something so wrong? I just stood for myself, just fought against what was wrong. What is wrong in that?

I am Shefali Singh from Jaipur. I am 18 years old, passed class 12th and getting married within two weeks. My father is in government service and my mother is a housewife. Apart from three of us, my father's unmarried younger brother, Mr. Rajesh Singh also lives with us. 

I was brought up in a very strict family, where girls are considered as a burden. I don't know how my father allowed me to study. Does that even matter now? He thinks it as a mistake. He wants to marry me off to somebody. I am very sure my future husband will also be like my father. He will surely be the villain of my life.

What did I do to deserve such a fate? My parents are bothered about the society and not their own daughter. I don't want to get married. I am not ready for any such relation and my parents know that. I want to run away from this house. But then, my parents will have to face the society. Whatever happens, they are my parents. They have given birth to me. I cannot hurt them. Maybe I could go and convince my mother.

I move out of my room and go to my mother who was in the kitchen. 

"Maa, please convince Papa. Maa, I don't want to marry. Please Maa. At least you can understand me."

My mother looked at me angrily and said, "Have you not brought enough shame to us, that you now want to break this alliance? Your father has given a word to them. This marriage will surely happen. Go to your room now. I don't want to see your face."

I ran to my room and collapsed on the bed. I tried to sleep but I could not. Those scenes were flashing in front of my eyes. Why don't these people understand me. 

Please somebody help me. Please help me.

_____________________________________________________________________________

So, how is it? What has Shefali done? Why are her parents angry? Which scene keeps flashing in front of her eyes? 

If you like the chapter, do not forget to press the little star.

~Purnima