13. Her Fear

Wednesday, 11 AM

After putting Ashutosh to sleep, Shefali had moved to the balcony. She had instructed Ayushi to keep an eye on Ashutosh and leave her alone. Though Ayushi did not wish to do so, she obeyed Shefali.

Ashutosh woke up and came out of the room searching for his wife. His first thought was that she left him. He came to the dining room and saw Ayushi sitting on the chair, looking at the closed balcony door.

Ashutosh - "Where is Shefali?"

Ayushi - "In the balcony."

Ashutosh - "Ayu, you go to your room and rest. I will talk to her."

Ayushi nodded and went to her room. Ashutosh went to the balcony door and opened it. He entered the balcony and the sight in front of him almost killed him. Shefali was sitting on the floor in a corner. She was holding her knees close to herself and her head was bowed down. It was quite evident that she had been crying. 

Ashutosh sat near her and called out her name. She looked up with red eyes and a tear stained face. On seeing Ashutosh, she continued crying and spoke.

Shefali - "As a child I was very close to my uncle, Mr. Rajesh. He always saved me from my father's wrath. I thought he was the best person in this world. When I was six year old, one day I was playing with him in his room. Maa and Papa had gone somewhere. Suddenly, he told me to take off my clothes. I was very small to protest. I did as I was told. He started touching....my body...."

Shefali could not speak any further. She was crying badly. Ashutosh moved forward and hesitated before hugging her. Shefali kept her head on his shoulders and kept on crying. After five minutes, she composed herself and continued.

Shefali - "He raped me. His own six year old niece. And then he told me that if I will tell this to anyone, then I will be punished. I was so afraid of my father, that I blindly trusted that monster. This continued every week. I was in pain. I used to bleed. But I never told anyone. When I was thirteen, I started to understand what was happening. I tried to tell my mother. But she slapped me. She said that I was falsely accusing my uncle. That night my uncle had hit me with his belt, for revealing the secret."

Ashutosh's heart was paining seeing her in such a vulnerable condition. He wanted to kill all those who had hurt her.

Shefali - "When I was eighteen, I came to know about various steps taken by government against child abuse. I reported against my uncle. That day my father whipped me. It was then I realised that my parents  always knew what my uncle had been doing."

Ashutosh was shocked would be an understatement. He could not believe that   parents could do such things. He was disgusted. Tears started flowing from his eyes.

Shefali - "You remember when you had asked my father if you could sell me, he had shown anger. He was angry because of the tone you used and not because you talked like that about his daughter. This marriage, according to him, is a punishment for me."

Ashutosh - "Yesterday...."

Shefali - "I understand Ashu. Those eyes....I could read that expression. You were not in your senses. But...I won't be able to give you your rights on my...."

She could not complete her statement as Ashutosh placed a finger on her lips.

Ashutosh - "I want my rights on your heart and soul. Not on your body. I promise you Shefali, I will heal you. I will fight with the world. There won't be any more pain in your life. Together we will make so many good memories  that you will forget the bad ones. Now get ready. Tomorrow we will go for your admission in college."

Ashutosh stood up and helped Shefali. He took her to their room and made her sleep for sometime. 

________________________________________

This has been the most difficult chapter till date. I don't know if I have done justice to it or not. Please share your thoughts.

What do you think about Shefali's family? Tell me what punishment do they deserve? 

~Purnima