4. The Only Way Is Up

Start from the beginning

I just sat down next to Cathy and noticed that she as well had a beer in her hand. I looked at her side for a moment, but she didn't say anything. I averted my gaze and looked out over the road. Occasionally taking a sip of my drink. After an eternity, she finally spoke up, probably realizing I wasn't going to.

"What happened, those three years ago?" She asked, surprising me. "He never told me the full story, you know. Maybe I was just prejudiced. And if he is able to forgive you, then so should I, I guess." I sighed. Where would I begin?

"There were uh, like these signs in this one town. Signs of the supernatural. So we went there to check it out. Turned out it was a shapeshifter."

"They could be anyone, right?" She questioned and I nodded, but she wasn't looking at me.

"Yeah. And um.. Devon's brother, Noah, he was in town at that time. I don't remember why. Anyway, the shapeshifter, his drive was torturing people. We tracked him down, and the trace, it led to Noah. We found the shifter fighting with Noah in his apartment and the shifter had taken on Noah's appearance." I stopped talking for a moment, as I felt tears stinging at the back of my eyes.

"You shot the wrong guy?" Cathy concluded. I inhaled shakily.

"I didn't mean to shoot at all," I said with a shaking voice, barely holding the tears back. "One of them started yelling at us to shoot both of them, so the shifter would die either way. Then the other did that as well and I.. I panicked. And I regret it every single goddamn day, that I was too weak, and let my panic get the best of me." I took another swig of the beer and then it was empty. "Devon said that he never wanted to see me again." I kept it in my hands and fidgeted, kind of waiting for her to burst with anger. For her to call me stupid, for her to scold me for making that dumb mistake. A dumb mistake that cost an innocent's live. But she never did.

"To be honest, I would've done the same thing," She just said. I stayed quiet, not knowing what to say. Should I thank her for understanding? Should I yell at her that she's wrong?

"It's not your fault, Kendall. I understand now. Try to not beat yourself up over it." I snorted sarcastically.

"I wish I could but that's all I've been doing over the last three years," I told her, not daring to take my eyes of the road, even though I could feel her eyes on me.

"That must be hell," Cathy concluded, still looking at me. I bit my lip and nodded. Because she was right. It was hell. I've been trying to forget the incident and buried my feelings somewhere I couldn't reach them. But I knew I was going to break some day. I knew the dam would break, but I tried, so damn hard, to ignore the humongous guilt that was eating me alive. Maybe it was a good decision coming here, maybe if I hear Devon saying he's able to forgive me, it'll finally be gone.

"Anyway, Devon should be back any minute now. He went out to get some food. No hard feelings?" Cathy said after a while. I finally built up the courage to look at her, to see her staring back at me with an apologetic smile. I sadly smiled back.

"No hard feelings." We clinked our beer bottles together, even though mine was empty,  and waited for Devon to be back with food.

***

"It was really great seeing you again, Kendall," Devon said as he engulfed me in a hug. I was about to take off again, too much regular life for my taste.

After my talk with Cathy yesterday evening, Devon came home bearing Chinese takeout and the three of us ate together, actually having a great time. The argument we'd had was forgotten and forgiven, pushed to the back of our minds. That set aside, we got along pretty well. We ate a lot of food, Cathy told me about herself and told me some embarrassing stories about Devon and I laughed until my stomach hurt, as Devon tried to cover up the fact that his face was flushed red.

"Likewise," I mumbled into his shirt, my arms wrapped around his torso, scared to let go. I wanted to leave, as I wasn't used to staying in one place too long while doing nothing. I just didn't want to leave him. What if this will be the actual last time we meet? I'm not sure if I can bare that.

"Hey," He said, pulling back a little and taking my face in his hands, forcing me to look at him. "Remember, that I have forgiven you, and you are always welcome in our home." A sob escaped my lips as I nodded. Yesterday was such an emotional day, I couldn't seem to shake it off. I was happy though. Happy that he accepted me back into his life, and it felt like a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders after carrying it around for three years.

He hugged me one last time, before we fully let go of each other. I shot Cathy a teary smile before giving her a hug as well, and then walked towards my Mustang. I stepped inside and slammed the car door shut before starting up the engine,  which roared to life. I smiled, the sound of it was like music to my ears. I waved at the couple one last time, and then sped off, heading north this time.

If I could sort out things with Devon, I could sort things out with Bobby. Granted, my uncle and I don't have some kind of tragedy, we just don't get along that well anymore. But he's the only blood related family I've got. And believe it or not, but family is important to me.

As I drove upon the highway, I switched on one of the many mix tapes I had, and the radio blasted out Nirvana. South Dakota was a whole state away, so I was setting up for a long drive.

Sioux Falls, here I come.

A/N: hope you enjoyed! you now know what happened three years ago. this way, you'll learn more and more about who Kendall is. i'm having a lot of fun writing it :)

i'm going to do a little experiment; how about 5 votes on this chapter before i upload the next? ;) (at least until i get too impatient...)

dedications go to people who vote/comment !

happy reading!