Epilogue: New Arena

It's been a couple of days since Dark and I came clean about our feelings, and I still have a couple of days until Mom gets home. Since it'd probably be a bit awkward explaining to her how and why I'm with Dark (and how he exists), we've decided that we'll wait until I finish school. Then, when I leave to "work", Dark will make it so that she just doesn't remember where I am or what I'm doing, but doesn't question it either... Kinda like after the kids in IT left Derry.

Either way, we've got a plan, which is great.

For now, Dark leads me through a hallway by the arm. I'm blindfolded because he said that he had a surprise for me. I don't know what to expect, because it could be anything from a dinner to a murder spree. My stomach flutters with excitement. From the sound of my footsteps, I can tell that we're on a stone or cement floor in a small space.

"Watch your step," Dark speaks up.

I carefully move forward and find myself walking up a set of stairs. I can hear a murmur from the top of the stairs, like a large group of people far away. When we make it to the top, I feel like we've reached a much more open space. I place my hands in front of me, finding a smooth wall.

"Alright," Dark says, removing my blindfold.

My eyes take a moment to adjust to the light, but when they do, I'm astonished. I can't see the ceiling, but red lights shine from invisible spotlights, illuminating a circular arena below. It's very similar to the place Dark's taken me before, but there are a few key differences.

The first is that, instead of a pentacle, my first initial is etched into the circular arena. A circle is still around the letter, ready to burst into flames, as well as ten evenly spaced doors. The second difference is that there are a couple of weapons strewn about the arena. Daggers, throwing knives... the works.

The primary difference, however, is that we're standing in some kind of elevated box, like in a football stadium. There are two tall seats – like thrones – in the center and towards the front of the box overlooking the arena. The small barrier is made of glass, as well as part of the floor, so I don't miss a single bit of the gore.

Beaming, I turn to Dark excitedly. He watches my delighted expression with a grin of his own. I don't hesitate to hug him, elation evident. When we break away, Dark gestures to the  chair on the left. I take a seat, Dark sitting next to me. The doors in the arena open, and the terrified contestants leave their chambers. I lean forward eagerly.

Dark speaks from my right, and I turn to him. "I've created another feature that I think you'll like. I've added the ability to interact with the contestants. You can assist or punish them, giving them weapons or inflicting harm."

I take a breath in to calm myself and close my eyes momentarily. Then, as I breathe out, I release a sigh of joy. "This is the single most incredible thing that anyone's ever done for me."

The contestants are standing in miniature rings of fire inside the larger one so that they don't grab the weapons prematurely. Dark begins to explain the rules to them:

"Welcome, contestants. The object here is simple: Survive. Only one of you can leave this arena. As I continue to explain the rules, feel free to injure yourself to gain an advantage. There is another, less lethal method of getting the upper hand, however. Seated in the box above the arena is a being whom you will refer to as God."

At this, Dark turns to me with a smirk. I raise an eyebrow, listening to him as he continues.

"God can give you anything you'd like, assisting you or harming others, if they choose. Please them and they might just assist you. The battle shall begin in three..."