Little Nightmares

I open my eyes, not knowing where I am or how I got there. I sigh, looking around through the pure blackness around me. Instead of feeling like I'm trapped in a void, the darkness seems confined, like I'm in a small, cluttered space. A metallic scent hits my nose, causing me to recoil. Blood. I know that smell all too well. Hey, I made a rhyme!

Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, I focus on the darkness and the scent. As I turn my head, the scent grows stronger in some areas. I reach my hand out towards the space that doesn't smell soaked in blood and slowly walk towards it, my fingers eventually hitting a wall. I walk slowly, trailing my fingers along the wall lightly in an attempt to find a light switch of some kind.

Though I don't find a switch, my hand finds a door. I open it slowly, seeing a dimly lit hallway outside of the room I stand in. There's a man at the end of the hallway, mostly hidden in shadow.

Hahaha... How 'bout no? I think to myself, warily watching the man. I've played enough horror games to know that that's definitely not what I want to do, today. Nope, not feeling up to that.

The light from the hallway allows me to see a small light switch beside the door. The instant my eyes shift from the man, he moves, turning slowly. I'm paralyzed, unable to do anything.

I    d o n ' t   f e e l   q u i t e   l i k e   m y s e l f . . .

The voice seems to echo through my skull painfully, causing a massive migraine. A high pitched ringing pierces through all thoughts I had. I drop to my knees, holding my head. Through blurred vision, I watch the man look directly at me. Then, without warning, he begins to dash down the hall, appearing to levitate on shadows. Each lightbulb he passes underneath shatters, and the hallway grows darker. Muffled screams of agony seem to grow near with him. Regaining focus, I slam the door shut, leaning against it and breathing heavily. The muffled screams stop, but the high pitched ringing persists.

If I were any regular kid in a horror movie, I'd open the door again to see if he's still there. Instead, I stand and fumble for the light switch I had seen before and illuminate the room.

...I-I should've kept the lights off... I think to myself in disgust.

Bodies are piled in the far corners of the room, blood painting the wall a deep garnet. Some looks fresh, some looks old. Same goes for the corpses. The ones on the bottom of the piles are mangled and rotting, causing me to gag. Exposed dry bone and organ tissue festers, limbs have been torn off, heads have been removed, eyes have been gouged out... The bodies on top are much more pleasant. Simple stab wounds and gashes decorate the skin, still wet blood trickling down the piles and onto the bodies below, then to the floor.

Once I'm able to tear my eyes from the gruesome scene, I notice a black desk chair turned away from me, difficult to see in the shadows. A gut feeling tells me someone I do not want to meet is in that chair. There's nowhere to hide, and I wouldn't be able to anyways, because the chair is slowly turning around.

Bile is fought down in my throat as a pale, bloody Mark stares at me with empty eye sockets. A black liquid oozes from the gaping holes, as well as some leaking from the corner of his mouth. He smiles at me, jerkily tilting his head to the side as if trying to appear... comforting... or, at least, human. It's a bit difficult when one looks like death itself. Stomach sinking, I'm once again paralyzed. I can't do anything but stare back at him, trying to not express the pure fear I feel on my face.

I tense as he stands, slowly walking towards me. Mark's body seems to glitch in and out of this plane of existence with every step. I shrink back, as far away from him as possible, eventually letting my back hit the door. The sharp pain pulsating through my temples seems in rhythm with his staggered footsteps, growing the closer he gets. Dropping to my knees again, I clutch my head and squeeze my eyes shut.