Questions

"Why are you different?"

I don't have an answer to his question. I'm not quite sure what type of answer he wants, either. Dark's expression is unreadable. I don't know if he even wants me to answer.

So I stay silent.

It's not quite an uncomfortable silence, but more of an understanding. We both had been mistaken, believing that we knew everything about the other. We understand that we don't understand each other.

Dark's head tilts to the side in thought. "I guess I underestimated you."

I shrug. "I'm guilty of the same thing." He seems surprised by this, but doesn't comment.

In a blink, we've returned to my house, and I'm sitting next to Dark on the couch. My hands are no longer bloody, but I still can't rip my gaze from them. It's raining lightly outside, thunder rolling in the distance.

"You didn't... actually make me kill them, did you? [F/N/1], I mean." Though my voice bears no emotion, I feel like crying.

"Don't worry," Dark assures me. "[F/N/1] is alive and well."

For some reason, I trust his word without question. Besides, it would be illogical to make me kill someone I care about. Doing that would only make me hate him.

I nod at his answer, then go up to my room. The experience of killing [F/N/1] jarred me thoroughly, so I sit at my desk, open my laptop, and go to YouTube. Escapism is what I'm best at, I think to myself, scrolling through the videos in my subscription feed. The rain is falling heavier now, thudding against the roof. Lighting flashes brighten the grayed, midday sky.

I decide to listen to music instead of watching videos, and put on my headphones. Slipknot is my go to band when trying to distract myself from thinking. Using my toes, I lean my desk chair onto its back wheels dangerously, letting my head rest against its back. For a while, I stay like this, relaxed and poised precariously. Music blasts through my ears, slightly too loud so that it drowns out all thought. I tap my hand against my thigh to the beat of the music.

My phone's alarm goes off as my mom texts me, and I lose my balance, having a mini heart attack as the wheeled seat wobbles, then falls backward. I brace for impact, but a strong pale hand had reached out and caught the back of the chair. I look up, silently thanking the demon, for once. Despite viewing him upside down, he appears as stern as ever.

"How long have you been standing behind me?" I ask. Dark simply raises an eyebrow in a "do you really want to know?" fashion. I shake my head to dismiss the question, pausing my music and opening my text messages.

Mom: How're you doing?

A demon is successfully attempting to make me go insane, I simulated murdering my best friend, and I actually have murdered quite a few people – so fan-fucking-tastic.

Me: Pretty good. How's the trip so far?

Mom: Nice, actually. The city is beautiful

Me: That's cool

Mom: Well I have to go meet with a colleague of mine. Love you

Me: Love you too mom

With that, I turn off my phone. Dark has pushed my chair into an upright position. I glance back at him, noticing a ghost of a smirk playing on his lips. It's odd seeing him smile non-malignantly. I decide not to question it and let him be.

About ten minutes after I turn my music back on, the power goes out. The wifi also shuts down, so YouTube streaming isn't an option. The storm still continues heavily outside.