Explanations Owed

Night approaches. The storm had stopped for hours closer to the middle of the day, but picked right back up at 10ish. I worry what Dark's gonna say. Do I even want to know? I decide not to think about it too much. It'll only make me more anxious. I throw my raincoat and boots back on, then head out the door. This time, I take an umbrella.

Heavy rain beats down on the top of the umbrella. Luckily, there's no wind to make it fly out of my hands. Puddles cause small splashes with every step. I head down the street and to the right, arriving at the place where Dark and I had first met face-to-face. For some reason, I kept the coin with me, rubbing my thumb against it nervously.

There are streetlights lining the street, but nobody on the road because of the weather. A single light falls onto a man in a suit, leaning against the telephone pole underneath. He's soaked by the rain, but he hardly seems to notice it. As I continue to move forward deliberately, I turn my apprehensive expression into a stony mask. I don't know what he's gonna say, but I'm sure I won't like it.

I clear my throat. My grip on the handle of the umbrella tightens as Dark's black eyes meet my [E/C] ones. I take a deep breath, then hold up the coin.

"You changed the outcome so I'd be here," I state stiffly.

"I wasn't going to take any chances," he replies.

"Why am I here?" I ask, letting a hint of annoyance lace my words. "You hate me – You've made that much obvious. What more do you want to berate me for?"

Dark's eyes drop to the ground, and he stands up straight. "I understand you're furious – you have every right," he begins. "and since I'm incapable of explaining my actions, I simply wanted to return your memories."

I look at him carefully. Another sudden personality change? What's with him? I've seen at least three different personalities in the past 48 hours. Before I can respond, a tidal wave of memories flood my vision. They're vivid, as if they happened recently, and I recognize them immediately. Dark's head on my shoulder, the talk of "resisting"... They are, in fact, the memories I was forced to forget.

Along with the returned memories, is the knowledge of what I had resisted. I had resisted him. Dark. I didn't immediately fall head over heels in love after he started flirting with me. But that means that he was unable to resist... me?

My gaze returns to Dark, and his guilty eyes give me all the answer I need. Still, I guard my heart. I don't know if he was being honest then, or now. I still need more proof.

"Why are you letting me remember this now?"

"I acted poorly, earlier, and I apologize. I just want you to know that I regard you very differently than how I spoke about you."

"Why did you try to push me away?"

"I knew you'd eventually become sickened or disgusted by my demonic actions, and would grow to hate me. My intention was to distance myself from you before that occurred."

"Why didn't you want me remembering what happened?"

"It'd only be more... difficult when the time came for you to realize my true self."

I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose in irritation. Then, I'm not sure why, I begin laughing. Soft, low chuckles rise from me, causing Dark's eyes to dart to me in confusion.

"And it never occurred to you that I understand what you are?" I ask incredulously. "It never once crossed your mind, that I do enjoy your company? I'm fine with your 'true self', Dark. I always have been. I'm pissed because you underestimated me, again."

I turn away from him, blinking back tears of relief, yet still smiling ironically. "Jesus, what do I have to do to make you understand?"

When I'm certain that the salt water won't spill from my eyes, I turn back to Dark. He's still silent, but is staring at me with that expression I don't understand. What is it? What is he thinking?

"So," I say, uncomfortably, still unsure why he cared about what I thought of him, "should I go now? You've said all you wanted to say, I'm assuming."

It's Dark's turn to chuckle. He walks forward, out of the lamplight, so that he's standing directly in front of me.

"[Y/N]," he laughs. "You still don't understand, do you?"

Warmth spreads across my cheeks as I shake my head in confusion. What am I missing?

"You still find it so impossible that someone would be attracted to you, despite your many appealing characteristics," he says, pushing the umbrella back so he can look me in the eyes.

As usual, the proximity initiates a butterfly stampede to flutter through my stomach. Dark holds the handle of the umbrella a little higher than where my hand is, and his arm is stretched past my head. His other arm slips into my unzipped raincoat to wrap around my waist. I begin to understand what he's implying, though I still deem it implausible.

"I've already told you directly that I find you physically and mentally attractive," the demon smirks. "Why do you still think it so unfathomable?"

The warmth on my cheeks intensifies, but I shrug. "I just don't believe you."

After a small laugh, Dark gives me a small kiss on the forehead.

"I'm more dumbfounded by the fact that you were actually afraid of something," I tease. Dark gives a small eye roll, but still appears genuinely relieved. "Now can we please go back to the house? I'm freezing and you hugging me isn't helping."

In a blink, we've returned to the house. Dark's arms are still wrapped around me as the two of us, completely drenched, stand on the welcome mat by the front door. After breaking from his grasp and removing my boots and coat, I race up the steps and quickly change into warmer clothes. Then, I grab a blanket and wrap it around my shoulders to go back downstairs. When I return, Dark's completely dry.

"Just so you know," I pipe up from the kitchen, where I'm making myself some tea, "I haven't completely gotten over it. That was a dick move, Dark."

He nods thoughtfully.

"I forgive you – that needs to be clear – and I will move on, but still..." I trail off, trying to avoid burdening him with all the stuff flying through my mind while still conveying the point. He wouldn't want to hear it, anyways.

I stare down at the counter. Though it still hurts a little, I'm mostly overcome with relief. I'm glad that Dark doesn't hate me. However, I can't let myself get carried away. He's acknowledged that he enjoys being around me, but there's still a lot of his thoughts that remain shrouded in mystery. The sound of the teapot whistling grabs my attention. I pour myself a cup and then go sit near Dark. He's on the couch, and I sit next to his legs on the floor.

Using Netflix, I find a random horror movie and decide to think about my emotions later. For now, things are back to normal. I'm going to enjoy it.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter of "I'm Here to Help You" as much as I enjoyed writing it. Comments and votes are super appreciated. Thanks for reading! ~Blue