Nine

It was getting close to Lakelyns birthday.

That one day focused on someone so important, with many friends and your family. Here I was with my mini family in our somewhat mini apartment. Couldn't ask for anything more.

The only downside is what does he need. Does he need his grandparents here? Does he need his dad? Does he need a lot of presents? Does he need an explanation?

No.

That's what Alyssa told me. I believe her.

"The kids don't need their grandparents. They have a whole bunch of your friends that can do the exact same thing they would!" She grabs my hands in hers before talking again. "You have people here to support you and can care for you and the kids." She takes a breath. "You are the best Mom-Dad I know."

A huge smile appears on my face. "That's right I guess since I'm the only Mom-Dad you know." I laugh.

She rolls her eyes. "The kids have all of what they need right here in this apartment, you, toys, food, water, a place to sleep. You are the best mom they could have."

I started crying as soon as she said that. Full blown tears. "And do not worry about an explanation. They're almost three and one, you have a long time." She says crossing her legs throwing her hair over her shoulder feeling accomplished.

That immediately made me laugh, once again.

This year will be great. I have a bunch of friends that care for us. I'm financially good. I'm where I didn't think I would be when I first moved down here. My parents thought I couldn't do it either, but here I am.

Lakelyn been talking non stop. "Can I have a chocolate cake? Can I ask for dinosaurs? Can I invite Née, Reese and Lyssa?" It was the cutest thing. I couldn't say no, why would I.

"Of course you can bud. How about you make the invitations and I'll help you hand them out." I ask.

"Ok!" He runs towards our 'craft' cubby and starts pulling out markers and paper.

I laugh at his excitement and grab Rosie from her high chair. As soon as I do so I hear a knock from the door.

I quickly make sure Lakelyn's okay before walking over to the door with Rosie sitting on my hip.

I open the door to see Brian. The Brian who is best friends with Axel. Oh shit.

"Oh Meredith? Hey, I was just stopping around the apartments seeing if anyone had an egg." He laughs.

"Oh you cook?" I ask laughing.

"Well, you could say that." He smirks.

"So who's this?" He asks, motioning towards Rosie.

"Oh, this is Rosie, my um-" I was cut off by Lakelyn running towards me his hands full of markers.

"Mommy! I don't know how to spell their names." He sighs with a pout.

"-my daughter, and this is Lakelyn my... son." I say towards Brian with a tight lipped smile.

He stares back and forth at each one of us. He looks like he wants to say something but can't come up with the words.

"Why don't you come in, I'm pretty sure I have an egg you can take."

—————

"So you're telling me you're a teen mom?"

"Yes I've been a teen mom for almost four years." He looks at me with wide eyes.

"You can't tell anyone though Brian. Only Alyssa and the twins know, and I would like to keep it that way, other than you." I sigh.