Chapter 19

"My name is Philip, what's yours?"

The name seemed oddly familiar, but you couldn't put your finger on it. "My name is (Y/n)," you replied, a polite smile painting your lips. Philip looked at you with wide-eyes, his freckled cheeks curling into an excited smile. "Do you remember me?" he suddenly asked. That's when it suddenly hit you.

Your first day of school.

Visiting the Hamiltons.

Playdates.

Sharing secrets.

"P-Philip?" you suddenly questioned, dropping the beautiful bouquet on the floor. In a matter of seconds Philip's arms were wrapped around your shoulders, and his chin was resting atop your head. "I thought I would never see you again," he whispered, making you shiver. You hesitantly wrapped your arms around his torso, relaxing into his touch. You let out a content sigh, tears threatening to spill from your bright (e/c) eyes.

"(Y/n)!" your fathers voice suddenly rang in your ears. 'Well he certainly knows how to ruin a moment,' you thought to yourself, quickly pulling away from Philip's strong embrace. Your father's hair angrily bounced as he quickly processed towards the two of you. "What do you think you're doing?" Jefferson asked you, pulling you behind him by your wrist. Jefferson looked over at Madison, gesturing for him to give him the pamphlet. Madison hesitantly placed it in his hands, and Jefferson showed the words of Philip's father to him. Philip looked through the pamphlet, reading the words written down with tears staining his cheeks. "You're lying! My father would never do this to us!" Philip choked out, stealing a quick glance in your direction. You looked down to the ground and slowly nodded your head, indicating that it was true.

[×]

The carriage ride back to your estate was extremely quite, and you refused to look your father in the eyes after what he did.
"(Y/n), I did what I had to do. How do you expect me to let you be seen with the son of a man who openly had an affair?" Jefferson asked you, looking at you directly. "Your words fail to make me see what you want me to see. He's my best friend," you blurted out, looking out the window. Jefferson sighed in annoyance, looking at Madison and Burr for support. The two shook their heads, looking away from him as well. "I might hate Hamilton, but I don't hate my daughter," was all Burr said.

The carriage suddenly came to a stop, and you didn't wait for the coachman to open the door for you, you just bolted out without another word.