Chapter 13

It had been over a month that your father had refused to allow you to visit Alexander Hamilton. You tried desperately to reason with your father, but all of your attempts worked to no avail. "Father, please, I must visit Mr. Hamilton. I promised Eli-" "enough of this nonsense!" your father boomed, making his study quiver under his outburst. "I will not allow you to have any type of relation with that illegitimate man and his family!" your father screamed at the top of his lungs, slamming his fists on his wooden desk. You were taken aback by his outburst, and tears pricked in your eyes. "If mama was still here she'd let me see him, but you made her go away!" you yelled in reply, running out of his office at top speed. Now your father was taken aback by your comment, and slowly sat down in his seat. He looked down at an old ring placed neatly on his desk, the diamond shimmering in the light. "She's right..."

You sat in your room, dreading your father for what he had done. "He's just so stubborn, Jean!" you yelled out as one of the helpers fixed your hair. "I know, I know." he replied, shushing you slightly as he put small braids into your hair. "Sometimes I think my father has no soul! He doesn't seem to care unless it can affect his overall image in some way! He doesn't even care if his own daughter is hurting..." you yelled with a sigh, watching Jean's reflection in the mirror. "Your father can be rather stubborn at times, I know that for sure. He's a bit, how you say, egotistical." Jean added, his work-in-progress almost complete. You gave a microscopic nod, not wanting to mess up his work. "Alright, my dear, all finished. Do you need anything else?" Jean questioned, cleaning up his station. You shook your head, indicating no, and he made his way out the door.

You paced back and forth, trying to figure out a way to go see Hamilton. He hadn't even tried writing you a letter, and your mail was now monitored by your father. "All of a sudden he decides to care about what I do," you sighed, looking out the window. You came up with a sudden idea, and beckoned one of the help into your room. "Your father said it was okay for you to travel on your own?" Cosette questioned, looking at you skeptically. "Of course," you lied. With that she walked away, satisfied with your answer.

In a matter of moments a carriage was parked outside of your manor, the jewels embedded onto the silk sparkling in the sun. You quickly made your way downstairs, careful not to disturb your father as you passed his study. You felt the floorboards under you creak loudly as you passed his office, which slightly startled you. Once you realized it was clear for you to go, you did exactly that. Once you passed his office you quickly ran down the hall, and down the stairs to your home. When you reached the bottom you felt your body crash into something hard. Looking up, you saw two figures standing before you. "Uncle Aaron! Uncle James! What are you doing here..?" You nervously questioned, looking up at them with sweat beading down your face. "I invited them over for a conference," The voice of your father suddenly chimed in. You felt your body freeze, and you didn't know what to do.
"Where are you off to?"