It Takes A Bit More

Start from the beginning

"I don't now, Jonathon Lee, stop asking me questions!" she says tersely and stomps out of the room. She goes the opposite way from me and I faintly hear Jimmy mumble that his name isn't Jonathon Lee, it's James Lee.

I crawl away until I'm far enough that they can't see me and I haul over to one of the sound check rooms, Jamie was setting up. "Are they singing live, here?" I ask, trying not to let despair coat my voice.

He looks up, taking one side of the headphones he had on off. He grins at me, "I was just listening to the show – you died, huh?"

I frown, "Why didn't you tell me they were doing an interview today?"

"Slipped my mind." He gives me a once over, "you seem more antsy than yesterday..." He turns on the spinny chair and opens his arms wide, "come tell uncle Jamie your problems." I frown but make my way over to him, snatching one side of his earpiece and taking a seat on his lap while he wraps his arm around my waist. I place the earpiece in my ear, torturing myself by listening in on the radio show. I'm thankful that Jimmy put on music, but I wish it wasn't "Chocolate."

"Do you ever think this is the reason why Brian doesn't like you?" I ask actually reigning in on how we might look to an outsider.

"It's a lot less than what he was doing," Jamie mutters. I choose to ignore it and launch into everything that had happened last night, from the kissing to the talking, to the texting, to "He said 'nothing'?" Jamie said, astounded. "That's foul. Doesn't mean you shouldn't break up with Brian, I don't know why you're stringing him along."

I frown, "What do you mean?" My heart drops, "Hasn't he been stringing me along? Fucking all of my so-called friends behind my back? What did I do? Hook up with a celebrity? Don't I get a hall pass or something like that?"

Jamie rolls his eyes, tightening his hold on me when I try to get up. "Marcy, babe, just because he's doing it to you, doesn't mean you have to do it to him."  I know he's right, but despite everything, with Brian I have more stability, with Matty I have...god, I don't know what I have. The truth is, I don't know anything outside of Brian. He had been my only romantic relationship and I didn't want to start from scratch again. I didn't even know if I could. I hear the doorknob turning and the suddenness releases Jamie's hands from me. Their voices are enough to let me know that Matty and Adam are ready for their live performance. I feel like a deer caught in headlights when the door opens.

Jimmy glances around before seeing how I'm sat on Jamie's lap, "did Christmas come early or..."

I turn to Jamie, placing my arm around his neck, momentarily forgetting Matty and Adam, just spiting Jimmy, "Well, Santa, for this year, I'd like – "

"A stable relationship?" Jamie smiles up at me and I scowl.

"Brian, right?" Jimmy asks as he leads the guys to set up. "You still with him? Haven't seen him around much, actually." He turns to me, a frown on his face. Jimmy was tall, maybe around 6 feet, but his quiffed up hair makes him seem even taller. He's got these amber colored eyes and laugh lines crinkling them. He's got the straightest teeth ever and I think he used to be in dental ads or something. He's fairly young, but he does love to father us. "Anna told me you died – also, you're banned from Redbull."

I open my mouth to retaliate, but he shakes gives me hard glower, playfully, but still effective. "Yes dad," I mutter.

"Don't call him that," Jamie says, "He's got a huge Daddy kink," and that sets me back to something Matty had said last night. He catches my eyes from where he's now seated, guitar in hand and headphones around his head. He winks at me and I blush, and for a little bit, I forget that I'm trying to avoid him.