23: On Our Way

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: On Our Way

It was now the morning of the dance.

To be honest, I don't really know how I should react, but I don't think lying on the couch and reading a book is how I should.

"Julia, eto na yung susuotin mo mamaya. Dito ko nalang ilalatag na kama mo, ah?" Manang Nena tells me, gently putting the dress i was going to wear tonight on my bed. It was a simple dress, nothing too fancy. And it definitely was not a gown.

"Thanks, Manang." I tell her as she left my room.

I plop back on my bed. I swear my life was this boring.

I wish my life was at least a bit interesting so I could share some stuff. Like yung mapa-action film na may adventure ba to keep you on people on their toes and have them say, 'Woah! Julia's life is just woah!' but sadly, all I can offer everyone is this dull life.

I haven't spoken to Quen since DJ's call, and he hasn't texted me either. Where the heck is he? I don't want to text him first because I just honestly feel lazy texting people unless they text me first.

Though I figured I might have to do so in a few hours-- text him first, I mean. So we can discuss on how to do this dance thing. Okay, nag-oover think nanaman ako eh. Relax, Juls! Relax.

My phone rings, and at first I thought na baka si Quen na iyon, but when I looked my phone, si Jane pala.

She texted to make sure that the four of us girls-- me, Janella, Miles and her, were still all going together. Her mother offered na siya na ang maghahatid sa amin.

I texted back to let her know that I was sure. Miles and Janella were both coming over to my house so para Jane and her mom will just fetch us here na lang.

*****

"Well, aren't you a lovely sight!" I exclaimed as soon as I opened a door and got a glimpse at Janella's get up.

"Ha. Ha. Ha. Real funny, Juls." She says sarcastically as she entered and then walked over to the living room.

"Hey, it's true." I tell her. But I notice a glum expression on her face. "Ano man? Did something go wrong ba?"

"I found out na nasira pala yung curling iron ko, kaya ayun, di na ako nakapagcurl ng hair." She points to her hair, which I found nothing wrong with. Yeah, it wasn't curled or straightened, but it was her natural hairstyle, and it was pretty. Especially with the studded headband she was wearing.

"I think it looks perfect." I tell her, and she gives me a smile.

"Thanks. I love your dress." She says. "I think it's suits your skin tone."

"Thanks," I say, sitting beside her. "Your dress is lovely too. For sure nganga yang mga boys sa school mo who didn't gather up the courage to ask you to the dance."

Tumawa siya. "It's not bothering me so much anymore. Masaya na ako na sasama ka."

"Yieeeeeeee! I'm so touched!" I reply, laughing.

We were both laughing until we heard the doorbell ring.

"Maybe si Miles na iyan." Janella tells me, as I stood up and walked over to the door to open it.

And as expected, it was Miles.

"Hey!" She greets, as she enters. "Um..." Her voice trails off when she sees me and Janella. "Um, I think mag mumukhang Power Puff Girls tayo nito." Miles tells us.

Janella and I both look at what were wearing, and we both realize that Miles was right.

The three of us had accesories that were in the colors of the superhero trio. May light green sash sa dress ni Miles, Janella's studded headband was in carnation pink, and I had baby blue shoes.

Well, wasn't that hilarious.

Minutes later, we heard a car honk outside of our gate, and then Janella received a missed call from Jane. So we all ran out, making sure we didn't forget anything, locked the door and the ran out.

"Gandang babae!" Miles hoots as soon as we see Jane when she opened up the door to their car. She was wearing an ivory white halter dress with bright yellow accents. She looked like sunshine on a cozy winter day.

She lets out a laugh. "Taralets!" She exclaims, and we hop in.