Chapter Eighteen

Rufus was at in his usual spot when Samantha opened Harry's front door.  He pushed his wet nose into Samantha's hand, begging for some ear scratches.  Samantha obliged, kneeling down so she was eye to eye with the dog,

"Morning, Boy.  You sleep well?"

Rufus sneezed, the remnants blowing into Samantha's face.  She closed her eyes, grimacing when she felt the moisture hit her skin.  She opened her eyes, her head shaking back and forth,

"Thanks..."  She stood up, set her bags on the front table and made her way down the hallway. 

Rufus trotted behind her, his nails tapping on the hardwood floors. 

Samantha looked up to see the door of the master bedroom cracked open.  She slowed to a stop, looking down at Rufus.  She switched her attention between him and the door a couple times before pulling herself reluctantly into the bathroom and doing her best to try to ignore the fact that the door was open.

It was none of her business.  She and Harry were finally establishing some trust.  If he knew she saw what was behind that door it would end that progress.  He would probably fire her again.  Only this time he wouldn't be coming to find her to apologize.

She finished washing her face, reaching out for a towel to dry the droplets of water.  Rufus was seated right outside the bathroom, watching her as if she had a treat in her pocket.

Samantha set the towel on the sink.  She walked out into the hallway again, unable to pull her gaze from the open door.  She took one more look at Rufus and then looked back at the door.  Before she even realized what she was doing, she was taking the steps towards the master bedroom.  She felt like she wasn't even in her body as her hand reached forward to push on the door. 

The room was darkened by the blackout curtains that were closed over the windows.  The bed was unmade.  The broken guitar was haphazardly thrown on a chaise lounge in the corner.  There was a few items of women's clothing on the floor and a nighty laying on the bed where it had last been thrown after being taken off.

Samantha walked in a bit further, her eyes locked on the bathroom doorway.  The counters were still full of perfume bottles and makeup that had obviously been set back down after it's use.  There was a crumpled up towel next to the shower.

Samantha felt tears jump to her eyes as her hand lifted to her mouth.  This room was a tomb that Harry had left untouched since Gwen's death.  He'd touched nothing.  He'd moved nothing.  It was a complete step back in time.

Samantha hadn't really understood the depths of Harry's pain until now.  How on earth had he lived in this house knowing this was a mere door away?  No wonder he hadn't moved on.

Rufus stirred, but Samantha was far too lost in her own head to realize Harry had returned home.  In fact, she didn't hear the door close at all.  She had no idea he was standing right outside the door until she heard his voice,

"What the hell are you doing in here?" 

Samantha was so shocked she couldn't answer.  She turned to face him, her chest heaving with deep breaths as her hand fell away from her mouth.

Harry walked further into the room, his eyes flashing with anger,

"What the hell are you doing in here?!"  He demanded.

Samantha could only stare at him.  All she could see now was the pain he was trying to hide with all his anger and attitude. 

Harry's anger, however, was only ramping up with every question he asked that went unanswered.