Chapter Seventeen

Samantha didn't remember the picnic being so far away when they were on their way there.  But now that they'd left it seemed like it was going to take them hours to get back.  It was dark now, an indication that she'd been with Harry for most of the day even though it felt like it had only been a few hours. 

He was quiet in the driver's seat next to her, no doubt in deep reflection on the day he'd had.  Samantha didn't blame him.  It was exhausting for her and she didn't even know any of those people. 

Samantha's eyes silently widened when she saw what time it was.  It was almost eight.  There was no way she would be home in time for Mia's dinner.  She quietly picked up her phone and texted Mia.

Mia responded quickly that it was alright and she'd put a plate in the microwave for her.  She also told Samantha that Kelly had come to the apartment earlier.  Samantha frowned.  Great.

She thanked Mia, told her she loved her and turned her phone off.

"Missing important plans?"  Harry asked. 

Samantha shook her head,

"No.  Not important...Mia just usually cooks dinner and I didn't want her to wait around for me."

"Miaaaaa..."  Harry drawled, "That the one that thinks I'm an asshole."

Samantha tried not to giggle,

"Yep."

Harry nodded,

"So I guess that means you're free for dinner then."

Samantha shrugged,

"I'll just eat what she cooked when I get home."
Harry pulled to a stop at the stop light.  He turned his head to look at her,

"I kinda think I owe you dinner at least.  After today."

"Harry, you don't owe m-"
"There's a great Indian place around the corner.  You like Indian food?"

Samantha frowned,

"Harry, you don't have to take me to dinner.  I don't require you to do something nice in return."

Harry quirked his brows,

"Maybe I want Indian food and I don't wanna eat alone."
Samantha sighed, her head shaking back and forth,

"You're infuriating."

"Is that a yes?"
Samantha tried hard to hold back her giggle,

"Fine."

Harry imitated her "fine" as he pulled into the parking lot and killed the engine.

------------------------

Harry ate a lot.  Or maybe he just hadn't eaten at all at the picnic and his appetite finally caught up with him.  Either way, Samantha was done with her meal long before Harry was even halfway done with his.

She toyed with the straw for her drink in her mouth.  Harry looked up, just in time to see her stab the roof of her mouth and frown in pain.  He laughed and shook his head but didn't alert her to the fact that he'd seen her do it.

He took another fork full of food into his mouth,

"So this friend of yours...Tessa..."

Samantha's frown turned into a scowl,

"The term friend should be used very loosely."

Harry nodded, though he didn't know their history his one run in with Tessa was enough to tell him what he needed to know,