Common

Katara woke up with the sun in her eyes and saw the camp they made last night empty, she sat up looking around seeing Zukos stuff packed away and a tea pot over a small camp fire. Katara got to her feet as she combed her fingers through her hair and opened the top of the tea pot and smelt herbal tea.

"Zuko?" She looked around and saw him no where.

"Zuko?" Katara walked around, looking behind some trees but he was no where in sight. But she heard him from a distance.

Katara followed the sound and soon saw Zuko with his swords, sharpening them with a rock down by a river. She walked forward and was about to touch his shoulder but suddenly was pushed down to the ground with a sword at her throat.

"It's just me!" She cried out with wide eyes as Zuko pulled he sword away.

"Don't sneak up on me like that," he sighed putting the sword back but Katara was blinded when the metal collided with the sun.

"I didn't sneak up on you," she huffed but looked at Zuko curiously.

"So do you just carry those around or do you actually know how to use them?" Katara asked interested.

"I know how to use them," he said flatly.

"Your uncle taught you?" She asked impressed a little.

"No, I had a different master, a old friend of my uncles though," Zuko shrugged as they headed back to the camp.

"You love your uncle don't you?" She smiled gently walking with him.

"Of course," he nodded looking at her.

"Is he the one that introduced you to swords?" Katara asked again and she almost heard him chuckle.

"Yes, he sent me a dagger from ba sing si when he was still a general, he sent me and Azula presents and mine was that, I gave it to a boy in the earth kingdom," Zuko explained.

"He really was a general? Why now anymore when the war is intense? Is he retired?"

"He quit a lot of years ago, his son died in the war in ba sing si," Zuko pursed his lips.

"I'm sorry for your lost, your uncles a strong man," Katara touched his arm softly and he smiled gently back at he.

"He's the only family member I'm actually glad I'm related too," he sighed.

"I'd say I know what that means but I honestly don't," katara hugged her chest awkwardly.

"Who are you most proud of then? In your family?" Zuko asked.

"Trying to get in my head or something? Use it against me?" Katara teased.

"I could be saying the same thing as you now know about my family, or my uncle and cousin," Zuko rolled his eyes.

"I'm proud of sokka the most, more than my dad," she smiled. "He's been here since everything, when our mom died, when dad left, he's always been there as I have for him, he's an idiot sometimes but I'm glad he's my brother,"

"Your mother is really dead?" They sat at the camp sight as Zuko grabbed the tea and Katara grabbed some cups.

"Yea, like I said, she was taken by the fire nation," Katara said coldly setting the cups down.

"Like I said, it is something we have in common," he but his bottom lip.

"Last memory of my mother was her telling me good bye, and I was asleep, I was barely conscious, but the next morning was the worst of my life," Zuko let out a small breath as Katara watched him pour the tea.

"It was the day I realized I was alone with my father," he looked at her with his golden sharp eyes.

"Why are you telling me?" Katara whispered grabbing her cup.

"Because if we're partners, we need to trust each other, and sharing something we both have in common, it's a good first step," he sipped his tea a little. "And I've never told anyone that much of the day my mother left,"

"It was a southern raid, they where looking for the last water bender in the South Pole, my mother sacrificed herself knowing it wasn't her, it's me, so when I saw your ship come to my village, I couldn't help but remember that day," Katara told him softly.

"To be honest, I forgot about Aang, I only could feel that fear of knowing they took my mother, I thought you came back for me, for the waterbender, not the avatar,"

"It's because they don't know there still was a water bender, I don't know what happened to your mother Katara, but I do know that my people don't think there's any waterbenders left in the South Pole... Well maybe now they do," Zuko gave her a shy smile and she smiled back.

"Weird," Katara snorted holding her cup.

"What?" Zuko asked confused now.

"Your right about something, it was kinda nice telling someone the truth about something that hurt me so much," she smiled smugly.

"Maybe I'll even find out everything about you prince Zuko,"

"And as well as I will to you master Katara," he bowed to her with his fist in his palm as Katara returned it with a giggle.