Chapter 36: All That Matters

Start from the beginning

Alex looked at his dad with pain in his eyes. Nathan's own eyes flashed with curiousness.

"I-" Before Alex could say anything else, the doctor burst through the door with a large smile on his face.

I leapt to my feet, approaching the doctor. "She's Okay?" I asked.

"She is doing wonderful." The doctor smiled widely before talking to Nathan and Zander.

Before the doctor could stop me, I opened the door to my mothers room and rushed to her side. She was unconscious but I could hear her heart. I sank down into the chair next to her, taking her hand.

Zander came a moment later and sat on the opposite side of me, clutching her hand to his heart.

"I thought I lost you." He whispered.

"We thought we lost you." I added, smiling at Zander. He smiled back, finally happy for some good news.

Hours passed by and my head rolled onto my shoulder. I jolted awake for the fifth time and tried to keep my eyes open.

Loud snoring filled the air making sure I didn't fall back asleep. Zander had his head laid down by my mother's lap, his snoring deep. He still clutched her hand, not making a move to let it go.

I glanced behind me to see Alex fast asleep on the couch, his mouth open as the loud snores came from his throat.

"It's pretty loud in here, isn't it."

My head whipped back to my mom and I cried in relief. "Mom!"

I hugged her, finally glad she was awake. She hissed in pain and in an instant, Zander was up, looking at my mother with concern.

"Helen!" He shouted, making the same mistake I did.

"Guys!" My mother squealed. "Gunshot wound. Squeezing." She cried.

Zander let go and smiled at my mother sheepishly.

My mother smiled at him and I had to look away because the love that shone in Zander's eyes was too intense.

Alex was up too. He was going to give my mom a hug but then
stuck out his hand as to shake her hand, then just settled with a double pat to the shoulder. "Glad you're okay Helen."

"Yes." She smiled, which slowly turned into a frown. "What happened after."

I kept my mouth shut. Mostly because I didn't know how my mother was going to react to the fact that I was a killer.

"Um..." I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"Roderick's dead." Alex answered for me.

My mother's face grew serious. "Good."

I looked away from her in shame. I could see her frowning from the corner of my eye. Curiosity went through her eyes.

"How did he die?" She asked watching me carefully.

I swallowed again, trying to moisten my dry mouth.

"I-" Before I could own up to what I had done, Alex chimed in.

"A wolf from our side killed him."

"Who?" My mother pressed.

Before Alex could continue with the lie, I breathed in deeply before spilling whatever was in my mouth.

"I shot him."

My mother's face lit up in surprise. "What? How?"

I sat down at the foot of the bed and nervously played with my fingers.