Chapter 13

The moon was bright, contrasting against the dark night sky that twinkled with millions and millions of stars. The air was cool and crisp, brushing gently against the omega's bare legs as he was surrounded by the silence of the empty, dead world.

Eren sat at the edge of the store roof, legs dangling and gazing down blankly, distantly, at the inked numbers and letters engraved into his golden skin, just below the palm of his right hand.

Just looking at the ink tattooed onto his skin brought back unwanted, dark memories from his past. All the stress, pain and expectancy he had to go through--- just to get a praise or approval from his father. Something he merely wanted all his life down in the facility. But luck was never on his side. He was prodded at and thrown around like a rag doll, merely for the interest of the curious scientists.

It came every so often. The flashes. The images. The memories. Like a scattered puzzle waiting to be put back together by the right person. To finally connect and become one whole. To make absolute sense. To reveal the truth behind everything. What went wrong? Who was he? Why did his father do the things he did? When and how did it come to this?

He could go on forever with countless of unanswered questions plowing through his mind like a hammer. Pounding into his head until all he could think of was why. Why this, why that---

You will be the saviour of our once fallen world.

The elderly lady's soft voice drifted in his head like a petal dancing among the wind. Her sincere words repeating itself over and over until one particular word stuck out to him.

Savior.

Perhaps that was what he is. At least, in everyone else's perspective. To them he was an unstoppable machine. A shield to protect them from danger. A god for them to worship and pray. A hero to relieve them of their darkness and burdens.

But even then, all heroes had a weakness.

The sound of quiet shuffling brought him out of his stupor and the familiar adicting, musky scent invaded his senses causing his inner omega to perk in excitement. Blinking several times, Eren looked up to see Levi looming over him before the raven took a seat next to him, letting out a soft sigh afterwards.

Feeling eyes on him, Levi turned his head to meet Eren's unwavering gaze. His brow rose in question, "What?"

Eren stared for several more seconds before shaking his head slightly, pink lips twitching at the corners. He turned back to face forward casting his gaze up at the bright moon that stared them down.

They sat in a comfortable silence, just enjoying the feel of the cool wind brushing against them. Strands of hair coming undone and falling in their faces as it would pick up slightly. At some point Levi pulled out a cigar, lighting it before placing it in his mouth. If it were anyone else, Eren would have snapped at them for smoking such a foul smelling stick before snatching it away and stomping it to death.

Levi blew out the smoke after awhile, holding the cigar between his callous fingers as Eren finally asked, "Aren't you supposed to be asleep like everyone else?"

Levi hummed, and responded nonchalantly, leaning back on one hand. "I don't sleep much. It's not like I need it anyway."

Eren let out a small 'oh' and they fell into a comfortable silence again only for Levi to break it by speaking up, "How long have you been traveling, brat?" Although his voice was devoid of any emotion, Eren could detect the small hint of curiosity in it. Years of hiding his own emotions did well detect what others were feeling.

Eren ignored the annoying name and replied back, not once breaking his unwavering stare from the sky. "I'm not a brat and long enough. That's all you need to know,"