Save Tonight // Jay x Cole

I know I said I wouldn't write any more of these challenges, but then I also said I'd finish some of my unfinished drafts. Also, I wanted (and was asked) to write some Bruiseshipping, so here you go 😉.

This is an AU story where the Ninja aren't Ninja but regular college students.

——-

Save Tonight

Sunday early morning

Cole woke up long before the break of dawn. But he knew, even without checking his watch that was currently out of his reach, that he would have to get up and leave right now, if he wanted to go home, take a long, hot shower, grab his duffel bag (that he had been smart enough to pack on the day before), have a nice cooked breakfast at the café next door, and still make it to the bus on time.

He untangled himself from the other's embrace - which proved a lot more challenging and time consuming than he had thought. Jay may not be as muscular as Cole, but the fast asleep auburn-haired man had a surprisingly firm grip.

Eventually, Cole somehow managed to replace his own body with a fluffy pillow.

Gathering his clothes that were scattered all over the room, Cole looked back the the other who was tightly hugging the pillow, a serene smile on his face.

The raven-haired male would have never expected to feel jealous of a common household item, but right now he really wished that he and the pillow could just swap places again.

But unfortunately, he had to hurry. Getting up had taken too much time, he was already down to only a quick shower.

Cole sat down on the edge of the bed and gently tucked a strand of hair behind his best friend's ear.

"Good morning, sleepyhead." He whispered, placing a chaste kiss on the freckled cheek.

Jay's eyes fluttered open, revealing those stunning blue orbs Cole had always admired (and secretly envied) since they had first become friends in kindergarten over fifteen years ago.

"Good morning, Cole." He mumbled sleepily.

For a brief moment, Cole worried if Jay might have any regrets about last night, but all those thoughts immediately dissipated when his lover flashed him a bright smile.

A smile he had dearly missed seeing for the past couple of weeks.

——-

Flashback - Saturday Night

When Cole returned from the bar with a round of fresh drinks, he found that his group of friends had become slightly smaller in the meantime. And while Lloyd had just moved to the next table, chatting up a pretty platinum blonde girl, it seemed that Kai had completely disappeared from the surface, or rather from the dance floor of the popular night club.

And this meant that the only person left at their table was Jay, Cole's best friend. Who was not in a great mood tonight.

It was the group of friends' last night together, before they would part ways for the summer break. Kai was going to spend the summer back at home in Ignacia, working at his parents' blacksmith shop. Lloyd would be travelling the country with his mother and uncle. Jay, the blue-eyed engineering student, was the only one out of the four staying in the city, for he had managed to secure one of the highly prestigious internships at Borg Industries. And finally, Cole himself was going to spend three months on the Dark Island, just off the coast of Ninjago. Together with other geology students, he would help sample and analyse a strange new substance that had been found on the island.