Never Too Late // Jay x Nya

For Jay-Lightning .

Challenge: Never Too Late

Pairing: Jaya (yeah, that's what you'll get when you let me choose 😄)

Setting: during Skybound (The Last Resort / Operation Land Ho!)

——-

Never Too Late

"Ouch."

Nya winced, as she landed in a giant heap of junk.

Luckily, some more or less soft pieces of garbage had broken her fall from the sky, so the Water Ninja was quite confident that she hadn't broken any bones (or bricks if you prefer LEGO language ;j).

Reluctant to leave her semi-stable position, the raven-haired girl curiously took in her surroundings. She smiled when she realised that she had arrived in an all too familiar junkyard in the middle of the Sea of Sands.

At that moment, the door to the old, rusty caravan burst open and two equally familiar figures stepped outside.

"What is all that racket?" Ed wondered. Then his eyes fell onto their uninvited guest. "Oh look, Edna. It's Nya." He exclaimed.

"Nya, how nice to see ya, it's been so long." His wife excitedly greeted her. "What are ya doin'?" She then addressed her husband who had just started to climb the garbage heap.

"It doesn't happen every day that someone in need lands on our doorstep – in fact, this is only the second time this has happened... so if you don't think I'm gonna help her, then you don't know the man you married." Ed replied.

"Of course, I know. That's why I married you." Edna gave him a loving smile. "I hope she's alright?"

The elderly inventor helped Nya to first get up from her lying position and then get safely down to the ground. The two Walkers then led her into their home, and soon Nya found herself tucked into a slightly worn armchair, covered with a cosy blanket, and a steaming bowl of homemade soup in her hands.

The Kunoichi felt slightly guilty for accepting the couple's help. Jay's parents were all too well aware of what had happened between the two (or three, including Cole) of them, and still they treated her like their own daughter.

"So, tell us, my dear. What brings you here?" Edna enquired. "How does someone just fall from the sky?"

"Well..." Nya began.

-----

She and Jay had barely made it to the basement of the old Light House.

"The Traveller's Tea." She noted the teapot lying on the floor. "Good Thinking."

As Jay blocked the door to keep the Skypirates from entering, she poured out the remaining tea to open the portal, but all but only a few droplets had been spilled before.

"That's it? That's all that's left?" She asked, disappointed. "That isn't big enough for both of us."

"But, it's big enough for you." The blue Ninja replied. "Nya, take the poison. I promised you I was going to protect you. And I'm a man of my word."

Nya felt tears pooling in her eyes. "Oh, Jay. This is the reason..." She sighed.

"The reason for what?"

"The reason you're the only one I've ever let into my heart. I don't know how to ever tell you this but... even before you saw a glimpse into our future, I saw it, too." She locked her eyes with his. "The first time I met you."

Jay's tired eyes lit up, and he gave one of his – adorable – nervous chuckles. "Y-you did?" But before he could react further to this revelation, he noticed the portal getting weaker. "Hurry, Nya. The flame is going out." He exclaimed.

"But if I'm ever gonna get a say in our future, it's me who has to protect you. Because it's you who has the wish..."

"But it's you who can grant him infinite wishes." He smiled at her. "Don't worry, I'll be alright. I've managed before..."

Nya's glanced at his left eye which hadn't fully healed yet. The beautiful sapphire orb was still bloodstained, but it was glistening with determination.

"I will find a way to safe both Ninjago and my-our future." She promised. "Stay strong, okay?"

Jay nodded. Nya knew she had to leave him behind, but at the same time, she could feel herself drawn towards him. Closing her eyes, she leaned in.

Just as their lips were about to touch, however, the pirates burst into the room, and she could feel Jay giving her a push and she fell through the portal.

-----

"And then, when I tried to save Jay with the Traveller's Tea, he said that, since I was the one the Djinn was after, I needed to be saved." Nya explained. "And when he pushed me through the portal, I had no idea where I was going, but I believe that Jay has sent me where I needed to be."

"Aww, did you hear that, Ed?" Edna cooed. "Out of all places in Ninjago, our adopted son chose to send you here, to us..."

"Of course, he did. You are still his parents and he loves you very much."

"And he loves you too, dearie."

That was too much for the young Water Ninja. She could feel the tears running down her face.

"I-I've never told him that I love him, too. And I never got to apologise for betraying him... what if... it is too late now?" She sobbed into her soup.

Edna placed her hand on her shoulder.

"It is never too late to make things right. I know you will find a way to do it."

"But how?"

"So, that's why Ninjago is falling apart..." Ed mumbled.

Nya sighed. "If I could take back those stupid wishes I've wasted, I would. But... I can't. It cost me my friends, and the two people who cared for me the most – my brother and the love of my life. And now it's up to me, and me alone, to save him, and the world."

"Now you stop it." Mr Walker stated. "Stop making excuses."

Nya looked up. "Excuse me?"

"Ed, don't be so hard on her." Edna placated her husband.

"She has to hear it." Ed said firmly. "Nya, you are such a strong and nice young lady. You can't tell me that a girl like you can't scrap together a few friends who'll help her out in a jam?"

Nya hesitated. "There are some people who might be able to help. But... after all I've done I doubt that they would be willing to do it for me..." She broke out in a smile. "But maybe they will do it for Jay."

"Now, that's the positive thinking I like to see." Ed smiled back. "Ya know, you'll make a pretty good Walker one day."

"I-I'd like that." Nya blushed. "But first, I have to make things right. I just hope Jay has managed to stay strong. I just hope it is not too late to save him."

She was very worried for the blue Ninja. Was he being tortured again? Was he holding up? Or... had he given up and wished it all away?

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. What did I just tell you?" Mrs Walker reminded her. And she was right. Jay had promised her to stay strong. And he was a man of his word.

So Nya firmly looked the older woman in her eyes.

"It is never too late." She confirmed. "No matter what has happened so far, I will have a say in my future. I will find a way to save Jay Walker."