Chapter Thirty: First Day Blues

A/N: Artwork is how I imagine Athena.

Considering I've spent a whirlwind month in the Underworld, my first day in Olympus is hell.

After reading Hadrian's letter, Athena dresses me in strange robes of midnight black and hemmed with white, skeletal trees. If she wants me to be formidable, it has the opposite effect: I survey myself in the plain oval mirror hung upon the wall, and I look more like a lost puppy than a warrior. There's a turn to my mouth that makes me look like I'm on the verge of crying, and I guess it's because I am. Athena must notice this, but she doesn't comment. Instead, she steers me out of the door and takes me to the refectory.

Long tables fill a noisy hall of diners, slurping and munching on an assortment of bread, porridge, meats and eggs. Athena fetches herself a bowl of porridge, whilst I pick at an omelette with lacklustre effort.

'Do gods and goddesses really eat down here?' I say, breaking our own silence. Nearby, fellow residents are having lively conversations considering it's early. They're glancing at us; I assume it's because we're so stiff and quiet this morning. I've no idea whether it is still morning though, as there's no windows to show the light. When I'd awoken in my room, dawn had been creeping over Olympus.

Athena pauses, her mug of steaming tea raised to her lips. She takes a quick swallow, as if deciding how to answer.

'No,' she says finally, 'Not really.'

I frown, but I reconsider the glances along the table. Their curious gazes had been at Athena's presence, not about our muted manners.

'The Twelve have their own dining hall,' Athena says, quickly, looking down at her porridge.

'So, "The Twelve" being...?'

'Zeus, Hera, Hestia, Apollo, Aphrodite, Poseidon, Hermes, Hephaestus, Ares, Artemis, Demeter and myself,' Athena says in a single breath. She goes back to picking at her breakfast, as if I'd asked what she was eating and not about who held the fate of Hadrian's— and my— kingdom.

'Slow that down,' I repeat, giving a nervous chuckle, 'Did you say Demeter?'

'Yes, she's one of the Twelve, although she doesn't usually live here. She resides in her court mostly. So, there's usually eleven of us that actually reside here...'

'And none of them are here?'

'No.' She swigs her tea, shivering as the heat hits her tongue.

'When will I meet them?' I ask, completely ignoring my omelette now.

Another pause. 'As soon as you can.'

My eyes narrow. 'When is that?'

Athena swills the tea in her cup, watching the surface jitter. 'It might be next week. It could be six months from now.'

My elbow nearly misses the table as I go to prop up my head on my hand. Six months! The Underworld wouldn't survive that long! And— I imagine Hadrian in Hecate's clutches for that length of time— and my belly twists.

'That's too long,' I breathe, and my body is tense. As if by fighting Athena on this, things might turn out okay. As if by convincing her, I'll be convincing the entire party of Olympus to my cause. 'We need to act now. Before she gets a hold. While Hadrian is still in one damn piece!'

I should have left as soon as I'd woken up. Shouldn't have let myself get led away by Athena, should have run for help. But I'd trusted her judgement— her wisdom—

'Rushing into this will not work,' Athena says, and it's my turn to shiver. There's a darkness in her eyes that dares me to defy her. 'You've seen her army, anassa. It's an army of undead. They can't be beaten by brute combat, and you're no match for her yet, either. Hadrian has bought you valuable time to get allies, get an army, and get ready.'