Chapter Three: Horses of Fire

'You know, I never trust a person that steals away my dog,' I say. I don't even think; my mouth just reacts. It's a terrible habit, and one that gets me into more trouble than a simple, "Hello, Quillan" would. 

Quillan-- Quill-- only smiles, and takes an innocent step away from Cerberus. One of Cerberus' heads follows Quill with yearning for the scratching to continue, whilst one head droops sadly to the floor. Her remaining head eyeballs me with a cool reasoning: this had better be good.

I step forwards, reaching out a hand to continue Quill's work. 'I'm sorry, Cerb,' I murmur, making sure I do a much better job at scratching behind her ears and shooting the man an obligatory victory glance. The dog woofs in approval, her heads all facing me again, each one wanting to be petted. When it becomes clear I don't have enough hands to cover Cerberus' many heads, the infuriating man in green steps back over.

'Let me help,' he says kindly, and his smile gets bigger. My eyes narrow; if Quill's smile were false, I'd trust him more. As it is, his smile is altogether too nice-- almost as if he actually means it. I can count all of his perfect, white teeth. 

'Quillan,' I say with emphasis, 'I must admit that I'm in a bit of a hurry. I'm afraid Cerberus and I were just leaving.'

He bows, his brilliant yellow hair shifting to obscure his face. Could I sense, for a moment, that a shadow crossed his features? I hoped so. 

'I could never keep the Queen waiting.'

I blink. I hadn't expected him to agree, so I nod tersely as though the decision is a grave one. 'I'll be leaving, then.'

'Until next time...' Quill's eyes scan what I do as I swing a leg over Cerberus' back. 'You do not ask who I am, Nerissa?'

Sitting atop a three-headed beast really throws the effect of my hair toss as I straighten up. 'Appearance gives everything away, you know. That lovely teal uniform is so clearly of the Spring Court that I didn't really need the golden leaves stitched on to tell me.'

Amusement sparks in Quill's emerald eyes as he watches up at me. 'Appearance is everything. Why then, do you flee without the husband that came looking for you?'

Damn that smile. It's still in place like a damned portrait. 'Appearance, of course. I flee so I can get changed into a new dress for dinner.'

'That is indeed a matter of great importance,' says Quill somberly. 'I should hate to keep you, but I too need to prepare for dinner. You see, I am a guest. I arrived earlier, to find that both King and Queen were jaunting about the Underworld in marital bliss.'

It's my turn to smile. 'Then, by all means, come with us.'

By us, I mean that Quill has to ride atop Cerberus like I do. And surely, Cerberus won't let that happen. But even as I gloat, Quill leans down and murmurs to the dog in low words I can't hear. After a few seconds, the dog bends back down, offering him a chance to ride. 

My face must show my displeasure, because Quill smiles even more brightly as he climbs up behind me. His hands grip my waist with audacity considering his humble act. 

'Ready?' I mutter, and he leans closer, so that he's talking into my ear.

'Ready,' his breath tickles my neck. 

I'm reminded of earlier, when Hadrian's hands had been around my waist and he'd whispered into my ear, and the idea of being his doting wife became much more appealing than before...

Slam; the great oak doors are thrust open, revealing the horde within. At the head of the masses, my heart catches at the sight of the dark haired King whose eyes seek out mine across the courtyard. Hadrian's face is pinched and pale with fury already, but he catches sight of the man holding me and something else drops into his face, and it makes my stomach drop.