Chapter Nineteen: Demeter

'Please, please, call me Dio!' Dionysus is waving a hand as he talks to Sybella, arm in arm. He says "Dio" loudly and pronounced 'dye-o'. Behind him are his group of friends, all as tipsy and giggling as he is. Despite the fact there's five of them, they might as well be clones of one another. There's nothing individual about them.

Behind them is Quill and me. It's saying a lot when I trust Quill more than Dio, but at least he doesn't flirt with everything that breathes.

On cue, Dio pulls a strand of hair behind Sybella's ear. 'Come, my little maenad, won't you stay with me tonight?'

Quill looks revolted.

'You're going to have to step up your game,' I sigh. 'She's a romantic at heart.'

Well, she likes reading erotica. Would that be romantic or lustful...?

'I don't know what you're talking about,' Quill says, turning away as we walk.

'Of course not,' I say, knowing fully that I'm the Queen of Denial, and he can't possibly hope to pull one over on me.

With Quill avoiding my probing, I take a greater interest in my surroundings. The palace lies ahead of us, built into the tall cliffs that surround the court. Spiralling towers form a pentagon, and each spiral becomes a tree at its very tip. The trees are living, evident by the fact all of them are currently in bloom, and the palace is shaded in bright pink blossoms, drifting occasionally to the floor like snow. The paths are littered with pink as we step down the marble walkway. The gates are made of willow, swooping low and providing some shade as we pass down the path. Guards in green uniforms greet us.

Dio steps forward, along with Quill. The two glare at one another, before both trying to use their positions to sway the guards.

'The Queen sent me on an important assignment,' Quill says, straightening himself up.

'It's me,' Dio says, giving the guard a friendly nudge. 'Look who I found.'

'Look who I've brought back,' Quill says, through gritted teeth.

I cough. So far, I've been stood at the back of the group, but now the guards peer around to see me.

'Great Gods,' whispers one. 'She's the image of our Demeter.'

As Dio and Quill halt, I step forwards and introduce myself.

'My name is Nerissa. I believe my mother asked to meet me?'

We are ushered through a large square courtyard of sculpted gardens and terraces. Denizens of Spring are scattered throughout, either sat at tables talking or strolling among the trimmed hedges. The guards march through, until we reach a wide staircase. At the bottom step, the guard hovers, uncertain.

'She's still in court this morning, my lady,' the closest guard explains. He gestures to the top of the steps, where I assume the court lies beyond. The group has fallen to the back of me, and now I'm leading the way, with Quill and Dio at my heels. 'Would you prefer to wait for it to finish? We can fetch you whatever you need. Food, tea, wine...'

My stomach grumbles at the prospect of food, but I don't want my mother to approach on her terms. Right now, I have an advantage I'd like to use.

'That's perfectly alright,' I say, mustering my firmest voice. 'I'd like to go to court. I will wait quietly and watch the proceedings.'

Let us see how my mother runs her court.

'I will take some wine, Theoval,' Dio says, casting the guard a grin.

'It's morning,' I murmur, glancing at the sun. 'Isn't it?'