~10~

It was a lazy Wednesday afternoon. The air was fresh and the city had begun to sprout it's colours. Buds had finally stated to open, splattering tree's and bushes with the colours of the rainbow.

Graham decided he would take the afternoon off, take time to enjoy the city before he joined the campaign tour. He quickly texted his cousins to say he was at the Café-Panetteria and wouldn't join them for lunch. He went home for a change of clothes before taking one of his cars to Mahogany Street.

It wasn't so much of a street as more of a little town at the edge of city centre. It got its name from the deep mahogany of its cobbled roads and buildings bricks, a technique used during the war to confuse enemies that the area had already been gassed or bombed.

Post war, it had become a place for families to restart their lives, sponsored by corporate companies, it become a mall and world famous. Littered with bakeries, restaurants, boutiques, and cafes, Mahogany Street was one of the pride and joys of New York city. An iconic landmark.

Graham let his mind wonder back to his teen years, all the exploits he'd taken part in. He remembered his fifteen year old self coming out of the candy store, grinning wildly and running across to the park to meet his sister and her friends. The time Chris got the four of them kicked out of the ice cream paler after trying to hook up with a staff member way out of his league.

The first time he bought Eva to Mahogany Street, he'd said they could do anything she wanted. She'd led him through cobbled mahogany maze, and Graham was surprised to have ended up at a café. Café-Panetteria. A fairly small coffee shop, it's varnished bricks and somewhat dim personality gave it the appearance of a pre war pub or bar. But they had the best coffee here in the whole state, and it held some of Grahams fondest memories with Eva.

He stepped in and was greeted with a strong whiff of freshly ground coffee and goods from the adjoining bakery. He swivelled his way around the table and dinged the bell at the counter. Susanna poked her head out from under the counter.

"Graham!" She exclaimed. "Hi! I haven't seen you since.." She blushed.

"Shhh... No one needs to know about that Suzy." He grinned, giving her a wink.

She giggled but then soon remembered her role.

"What will it be today then sir? Choco-cappuccino? Double latte, extra thick?"

"Just a black-honey with some biscotti."

"Yes sir." She said, turning to the ancient coffee machine behind her.

It wasn't often that Susanna actually worked the coffee bar, only if there was a lack in staff or a more customer's than handle able. Looking around the café, Graham could see that none of these reasons where the problem. That was until he spotted Ama in a booth by herself. Legs crossed and relaxed into her seat, she wore jeans, knee-high boots and what looked like a man's shirt, way too big for her. Her head was down and she was focused on scribbling on a paper cup.

"Your coffee sir." Susanna chirped. As Graham absently tipped her, she tipped her head to look at Ama. "I know right."