When Everything Began

Individual Summary: Every relationship has to start somewhere, and Bob's relationship with the boys is no exception. Way back in 2002, somewhere in far North Queensland, on the set of the first ever series, one medic is about to come face-to-face with two young Geordies, and things will never be the same again.

*****

If anyone had told Bob way back in 2002 that the show he was going to be filming would still be running all these years later, he would have looked at them and chuckled - saying "That would be nice, but I don't want to get too excited."

Just in case it didn't work out; that's what he'd always said.

And even when he got the call the following year to come back and be the medic for the second series, and then beyond, it still took a good few years and about three more series for it to properly sink into his mind.

At this point in the timeline, however, Bob didn't have that assuring knowledge: this was the first series of I'm a Celebrity, and no one had any idea what to expect.

He'd flown to Townsville a few days previously, and was now in a hired car on his way out to the set at Mission Beach. He knew the area - in his opinion, it was one of the better beaches in Queensland, but he was a little unsure at how it would work as the set for the camp.

The environment could be hostile - even in August, as it was, and therefore winter - and the sand and mosquitoes were likely to be the biggest source of complaint from both the camp-mates and the crew.

And - he supposed as he pulled into the hotel that the UK company had booked for him - probably the hosts as well. Being from the UK, Bob suspected that the two blokes were completely unused to environments such as this one, and that worried him a little - he just hoped that they could handle it all.

He wouldn't meet the rest of the British crew or the hosts of the show until the big meeting the following day, but Bob decided to take advantage of the early afternoon hour and go for a walk around the hotel grounds when he finally arrived. The sun was warm on his face and there was a gentle breeze cooling the air to a very pleasant temperature.

Sighing happily, Bob came to a halt by a balcony that looked out onto the vast ocean spread before them. The view really was spectacular, he mused quietly, and he smiled as the sea breeze ruffled his graying hair.

But he was quickly startled out of his musings by the sound of a loud yelp, followed by a crash and then the sound of someone swearing.

"Bollocks!" The voice was distinct, the accent definitely of British origin, and it made Bob's head turn in the direction of the voice.

The sound he heard next was that of laughter, before a different voice - but with a very similar accent - managed to speak up around their giggles.

"Numpty. You alright?"

While the voice was still laughing, Bob could hear the concern and affection simmering in the undercurrent of the speaker's tone, and it made him even more curious.

"Yeah, I just- OW! Don't touch it!" the first voice yelped, and Bob could tell that they were in some sort of pain.

He pushed away from the railing and started to walk towards the direction of the voices, just as the second voice replied with "Sorry mate."

Bob rounded the corner into the main courtyard of the hotel just as a second yelp echoed around the stone. He was a little surprised to catch sight of two younger men standing about ten metres from him; one, a small, slight, gingery-brown haired man holding his hands palms up - and even from where he was stood, the medic could see the shining redness of the blood from the gravel rash on them - while the other, a taller man with dark hair that was spiked up at the front, stood at his side with one hand on the smaller man's wrist and the other on his shoulder in a comforting gesture.