He Cannae See, Man!

Individual Summary: An unfortunate encounter with some badly-placed stinging nettles leads to a real life re-enactment of a famous scene from Byker Grove.

*****

The signs had been put all over the park, warning visitors to look out for the blasted plants, and flyers had been handed out to the crew and all the park staff regarding the first aid treatment for anyone who came into contact with the barbs of the plant.

Everyone was warned to be careful, but accidents can still happen.

On the way back up from that day's bushtucker trial, Ant and Dec were walking side by side on the trail - having passed up on the offer of a lift in one of the crew cars, opting instead for the walk (since it wasn't far).

Ant - being the clumsier of the two - had taken an accidental misstep and slipped off the main path and into the jungle undergrowth, landing on his front with his face in a very familiar-looking weedy plant.

At first, Dec had found this hilarious, and his hilarity could be heard echoing behind Ant's prone form. Ant had also initially found it funny: for about two seconds, and then the intense pain began.

"OW! Shit!" he gasped, instantly sitting up and bringing his hands up to grab at his face; looking like he planned on clawing his eyes out.

Dec - still grinning a bit - held out a hand and waited for Ant to grab it, smile dropping when he didn't.

"Come on, up you get" he coaxed, puzzled when Ant still didn't appear to respond - he just kept pulling at the skin around his eyes and whimpering painfully.

"Hey, what's the matter?" Dec questioned, smile now replaced with a look of pure concern.

Ant turned his gaze up towards him, and Dec had to suppress a gasp at the sight of his face.

All of the skin around Ant's eyes was red and swollen, his eyes themselves were watering madly and very bloodshot - almost so much so that the white of his eyes looked bloodstained. His eyelids were quickly swelling shut and, within seconds, they had closed up completely. The remaining skin around his cheeks, temples, and forehead were also red and appeared to be covered in tiny hives.

Immediately grabbing his friend's hand, Dec hauled him to his feet and pulled him swiftly out of the bushes, which is when he caught sight of the specific plant that Ant had stuck his face into.

He would recognise those leaves anywhere - after pictures of identical plants had been posted all around the office.

"Shit, that's a stinging nettle, isn't it?" he muttered, feeling his heart drop.

A stray hand flung out and grabbed onto his sleeve, and Dec's attention quickly found itself focused completely on his friend - who was now completely blinded by the intense swelling of his eyes.

Blinded? Oh shit.....

"Decs; I can't see, man" Ant whimpered, fist clenching convulsively in his sleeve.

*****

Bob was enjoying the set out lunch in the canteen when he felt his phone buzz in his pocket. Wiping his hands on his napkin, he took it out and raised a single eyebrow at the name on the caller ID.

Chris - their director - caught his eye and raised his own eyebrows. Replying with a silent "It's Declan", Bob swiped a finger across the screen and held the phone up to his ear.

"Yes, Dec?" he greeted, an uncertain feeling starting to uncoil in his gut.

"Bob! Oh thank goodness!" was the crackly reply over the static of the line. Bob immediately frowned at the sound of the younger man's voice.