Building Bridges (Pt. 1)

Individual Summary: There was an old bridge - not far from the tree-house - that had been damaged so severely by the recent floods and torrential storms that everyone had been warned against using it. Problem was, nobody told Dec this, and he soon finds himself in trouble when he decides to take a walk on his own and ends up very, very stuck.......

*****

The floods in south east Queensland during the beginning of 2011 had really taken its toll on some of the older structures around Springbrook National Park. So much so, that when the crew arrived in November for the 2011 series of I'm a Celebrity, the manager of the park warned them all very sternly not to use one of the bridges in particular.

"It's very old and the storms have damaged it to the point where it's become a hazard. We've closed it off and we're supposed to be having someone coming in to start repairing it next week" she'd explained.

So, as each new member of the 700 plus strong crew arrived, they were all briefed on the dangers of using that old bridge.

They were very surprised, therefore, when they got a message through one of the park's rangers that the repairer had been in over the week just before the show started, and had started work on repairing the bridge.

What they didn't know, was that the repairer would be forced to stop work halfway through the project, and left the remainder of the bridge unfinished and vulnerable to more damage.

But this also meant that the warning signs and restrictive tapes had been removed, and anyone outside of the know would have no idea that the bridge was even dangerous.

*****

"Fine!"

"FINE!"

"Cut it out, both of you!"

Forced to break up their argument, Ant and Dec spun around and faced their director Chris - who was standing off to the side, hands on his hips and frowning at the pair of them through his glasses.

"I don't know what's got into you two, but you're driving us all up the bloody wall" he scolded, eyes shadowed with a curious disappointment, but also a degree of understanding.

He knew that the boys were dealing with a greater amount than usual this series, and along with the added stress that they always put themselves under - what with the ridiculously early wake-ups every morning, the long days, dealing with the personalities of the celebrities, and just trying to keep the show fun and entertaining. 

But he could tell that they were starting to wear a bit thin, and it had all just blown up about five minutes ago in an epic shouting match between them - ending in both boys looking like they wanted to strangle the other.

He was - if he was perfectly honest - more than a bit worried about them, so he decided to step in.

"Look, why don't you both go off and cool down: it's bloody hot today, and that's not going to help your tempers any" Chris suggested, wiping the sweat off his own brow with the back of his hand.

Green eyes bore into hazel in a furious staring contest, both of them seemingly rather reluctant to move.

Taking a deep breath in order to keep his own temper under control, Chris decided to take a different approach.

"Right, that's it" he said firmly, sounding totally done with the pair of them. "Ant, you go that way; Dec, you go that way. I don't want to see either of you anywhere near each other for at least half an hour. Got it?"

Scowling, the boys stormed off in their designated directions - body language warning everyone to steer clear of them as they walked past.

The crew watched them go, a niggling feeling at the back of everyone's minds that something was surely about to happen.