Building Bridges (Pt. 2)

Previously......

Before he could say anything, Chris put a hand on his shoulder and relayed some information that made Ant's heart clench nervously as an awfully foreboding feeling started to creep into his stomach - making it churn horrifically.

"I'm glad you're back, because we could use your help."

Cautiously, Ant tilted his head to the side, horrible feeling in his stomach increasing exponentially at Chris' next words.

"Dec's gone missing: we can't find him anywhere."

*****

"Have you tried ringing him?"

Chris rubbed a hand over his forehead, worry increasing with every minute that they failed to find the wayward presenter.

"Course we have - the daft numpty left his phone on the table" he replied, holding up Dec's phone as he spoke.

Ant cursed under his breath, head falling back in frustration and his green eyes flickering with the beginnings of guilt.

"You're his best friend, Ant" Steve piped up, putting a strong hand on the shorter man's shoulder, "where would he go?"

Forced to admit that he didn't know, Ant shrugged helplessly, clenching his fists as he fought to keep his worry under control.

Within seconds, Bob appeared at his side, gently guiding him away as Ricky pulled out a map and they all started pouring over it.

Meanwhile, Bob steered Ant away to the side of the tree-house, bending down to look him in the eyes as he spoke quietly and gently.

"You alright?"

Ant could have laughed at that question: his best friend was missing, in 37 degree heat, and - knowing him - he was also likely to be upset after their argument. Of course he wasn't bloody alright!

He settled for just shaking his head at Bob though - knowing that the medic didn't deserve to be snapped at.

Nodding in understanding, Bob's hand tightened on his shoulder before they let go, giving the younger man a bit of space.

"Fuck Bob, what if he's hurt?" Ant blurted fearfully, hands clenching in his hair as frightened green eyes met calm blue ones. "It's my fault he ran off, if I hadn't argued with him and made him upset, then we wouldn't be in this mess right now."

Bob couldn't stop the frown that fell onto his face at that - yes, the boys had argued; and yes, Dec had been clearly stung by some things that Ant had said, but it was far from Ant's fault if his friend was hurt.

Which - Bob supposed - knowing Declan and his magnet for trouble, he probably was.

But he didn't say that out loud - no need to worry Ant further until absolutely necessary.

Putting his hand back on the younger man's shoulder, the medic forced the scared eyes upwards and into his own.

"We'll find him. I promise you" he stated firmly, trying his hardest to believe it himself.

*****

A quiet rustle in the bushes beside the path alerted the nearby wildlife to the presence of another creature. The birds in the trees watched on as the sandy-red-furred creature padded out of the undergrowth and onto the trail, panting in the heat as her long pink tongue lolled lazily out of her mouth.

White-tipped toes trotted easily along the path as she started to move along back in the direction where she'd come hours earlier. Having lived in the park all of her, so far, short life, she knew the place like the back of her own paw, and she knew her way around all of the trails very well.