The Bad Side of Black and White

Individual Summary: Over the years, Bob's seen people be afraid of many of the standard things: spiders, snakes, bugs in general, heights, the list goes on. But there's one fear that he hadn't counted on, and he only finds out about it when the start of the show happens to coincide with the end of magpie season at Springbrook National Park......  

*****

Visitors please beware: Magpie swooping season is still underway here at Springbrook National Park

Visitors please beware: Magpie swooping season is still underway here at Springbrook National Park. There are still birds who are protecting their youngsters, and will NOT hesitate to attack you if you are too close to their nest. There are warning signs in place across the park in known magpie hotspots, however these birds are known to swoop anyone anywhere. So please BE CAREFUL! Thanks, Springbrook National Park management team.

*****

"Is that seriously what they look like?"

Bob nodded slowly, eyeing the warning notice with a curiously concerned gaze. It was slightly abnormal that magpie season had lasted into November, but it had been known to happen, and with the relatively cool weather that had hit south east Queensland during the beginning of spring, that was the most likely cause of the delay in their breeding season.

As a consequence, for the first time in the two years it had been running, I'm a Celebrity ran the real risk of an unfortunate encounter with possibly the most menacing birds in the Australian wildlife catalogue (behind emus and cassowaries, that is). 

Bob had a love-hate relationship with magpies: on the one hand, there were quite a few around his house that he had gotten to know quite well, and he had watched generations of the birds hatch and grow up there, some of them would even sit on the patio table and would take food out of your hand if you offered it to them. They were basically like pets, and they had never swooped him or his family in the thirty-five years they'd lived in that house.

On the other hand, there were a number of known swoop-spots in Murwillumbah where he had been swooped in the past. It was a terrifying experience, even (or perhaps, especially) to a home-grown Aussie like himself. Imagine: you're walking along the path, minding your own business when all of a sudden you hear the sound of something large rushing through the air and then you feel a beak or talons on the back of your head, you hear the angry flapping of wings as they fly up at the last minute to avoid a direct collision, and then all you see as the bird flies past is a flash of black and white feathers, before they turn around and come at you from the front.

Bob loved nearly every Australian animal, but there were some that he held nothing more than a very healthy respect for: and magpies were one of those animals.

"Jeez: menacing-looking little bugger, inn'e?" Ant quipped, bending closer to get a better look at the poster on the table in front of them; "wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of 'im!"

Bob nodded in agreement, before he looked at his watch - eyebrows raising as they noted the time.

"Right, let's go - the trial will be starting soon" he decided, waving the boys in the direction of the carpark.