Hidden Grief

Individual Summary: 2011 was a very hard year for the boys, especially Dec - but he never told anyone outside of those who needed to know what happened. Most of the Australian crew - including Bob - had no idea what had happened that year. So Bob is surprised, and rather concerned, when Dec suddenly starts acting strangely after one of the crew accidentally mentions their fathers.......

*****

Father's Day in Australia fell on September 4th, 2011. However, thanks to some unfortunate timing of a horrid heart attack, Ricky's father had been unable to celebrate with his family on that day. He'd just been released from hospital a few days before, and now Ricky had organised for there to be a barbecue lunch for them, as well as the members of the I'm a Celebrity crew.

Actually, the ranger mused as he flipped a few sausages on the grill, it had been his father's idea, and the crew hadn't exactly said "no".

The kitchen staff were relieved to be getting a bit of a break - as many of the crew were at the barbecue - and many of the Australian crew had invited their respective families to enjoy the lunch with them.

Of course, all of this had been prepared while the boys - and Bob - had been down at the trial clearing shooting that day's bushtucker trial, so they were surprised when they walked back up to the tree-house to the sensational smell of cooking sausages and steaks.

"What's the occasion?" Ant queried, craning his neck curiously to try and investigate the source of the tantalising smell.

Ranger Steve turned and smiled brightly at them.

"Ricky's dad missed Father's Day back in September cause he was in hospital, so Rick's organised this little celebration to make up for it" he explained, grinning as Ant's ears visibly pricked as the delicious smell got stronger.

Then he and Bob both chuckled as the Geordie's stomach gave a loud grumble, protesting its emptiness.

"You'd better go and get some of those snags into ya" Steve laughed, clapping him on the shoulder before he went to join the line in front of the barbecue.

Ant was close behind, calling "You coming, Declan?" over his shoulder as he grabbed a plate.

Bob glanced back at the other man, and frowned when he saw his expression. 

They had been enjoying a wonderful chat as they'd walked back from the trial, and Dec had been his usual smiley, chatty, excitable self. Now though, there was a slump to his shoulders and a distant sadness in his eyes.

"Actually, I'm just off to the loo - I'll see you guys in a minute" he muttered, ducking his head and walking off towards the office.

Bob's eyes narrowed in concern as they watched him walk off; such a sudden change in demeanor was worrying to him, but he decided to leave it be for the moment.

He lined up behind Ant and grabbed himself a snag, taking it over to the salad table and helping himself to the delicious spread, before grabbing a seat next to Steve, Ant, and Chris.

A comfortable silence fell around the table as everyone enjoyed their lunch, and when they'd finished, the talk turned to their families.

Chris and Steve both talked lovingly and excitedly about their kids - the latter of whom had his running around with some other kids - and Ant and Bob listened intently to their stories, laughing at the sound of their antics.

It had been nearly half an hour, and Dec still hadn't appeared.

So, when Steve was engaged with fondly scolding his kids and Chris was laughing in amusement, Bob bent over and whispered to Ant.