The First Shot is Always the Hardest

Individual Summary: It's 2004. When one of the boys is injured on the set, Bob has to step in and take control of the situation. The problem is, he has no idea that his patient is terrified of needles......

Author's Note: As I'm posting this on Christmas Day 2017, I would just like to say a very Merry Christmas to all of my readers! If you don't celebrate, I hope you have a safe and happy holiday season, and I can't wait to keep writing for you all in 2018. Lots of love, Erin xoxo.

*****

"BOB!"

The frantic call across the courtyard echoed through the early Australian morning air. The man in question had just stepped out of his clinic and had frozen the instant the sound had reached his ears. All his senses immediately went on high-alert, and he quickly turned towards the source of the noise.

The tree-house, where the crew and the presenters were currently rehearsing for that morning's show.

Grabbing his kit and the oxygen bag, Bob quickly strode down the hill from the clinic to the tree-house, running through all sorts of scenarios in his mind for what might have caused such a worried and frantic cry.

He was - admittedly - mildly surprised when he walked onto the set and saw a crowd huddled around near the stairs. He knew that they had been the location for one of the more choreographically complicated links, and it suddenly made sense that someone might have hurt themselves here.

Of course, by "someone", he really meant "one of the boys", whom by now - after two years as the medic on I'm a Celebrity UK - he had gotten to know quite well.

Sure enough, the crowd of bystanders parted at his approach and the medic was greeted by the sight of Dec half-sitting, half-lying on the ground and cradling his right wrist, while Ant sat behind him and had both of his hands resting on his friend's shoulders.

"What happened?" Bob immediately asked, setting his bags down beside the boys.

Surprisingly, it was Dec who answered him - though his voice wavered a bit with pain and even a little bit of fear.

"We were rehearsing the link on the steps, and I slipped on a puddle about four steps up" he used his other hand to point over towards the offending step, and Bob could see a small puddle of already drying water (left-over from the early morning shower that had hit the jungle). "I fell down the steps and put me arm out to stop myself, and....well....." he held up the injured limb for the medic to see, and it was clear that something wasn't right about it; if the already noticeable swelling was anything to go by.

Humming quietly in thought, Bob gently touched his wrist and palpated along the bone, getting a violent hiss and a full-body flinch from his patient in response.

"Alright, I get the picture" he teased softly, lips quirking a bit as he looked up at the pair of them. "No touchy."

Ant snorted at that, while Dec just smiled shakily - the pain clearly much worse than he was making it appear.

With that in mind, Bob made short work of getting his initial set of vital signs, and when they all came back as within normal ranges - even if they were slightly on the higher end of normal, thanks to the pain - he started rummaging through his drug kit for something to take the edge off the pain.

Taking out a syringe, a needle point, and a vial of morphine, he started to prepare for an IM injection of the pain relief.

"I reckon you've done this one up pretty good" he began, attaching the needle to the syringe as he spoke before breaking the top off the ampule of morphine. "I'm going to have to call another ambulance down to take you up to hospital to get this x-rayed. So I'll give you a shot of morphine to take the pain down a bit while we wait for them to arrive" he turned back to face them both, prepared syringe and needle in his hand and ready to use.