7

three days ago i was passing the skywalk, above the busy city with my arms sore and my bones failed to mend. it was a long and lonely skywalk with the comfort of bed in my mind, lullabies in my ears ready to ring, and your birthday seventy-two hours away.

out of habit, i looked up to the sky and it was beautiful. that kind of beautiful that makes you stop. and so i stopped. but people didn't stop. they kept on walking, chasing the bus, wanted to reach home before it's dark. it was such a waste.

a piece of the sky would be nice as a gift, i thought.

how do you give a piece of the sky? maybe a photograph. a photograph would have been nice. but then i remembered Liesel Meminger and Max in the basement, hanging on to life with words and stories dripping from Liesel's mouth like the water from The Fountain of Youth.

and so i went home and wrote you this. i had a piece of the sky in my left hand, words in my right hand and an anxious heart in the middle of my whole existence. therefore, here is your piece of the sky, as imperfect as it might be;

-----

it was five, friday evening, above the skywalk and people that refused to look up. it was the sky, stained with a hint of pink and purple, hand in hand creating a beautiful harmony, ready to compete with the thousand colors of city lights. it was peeking over the highest buildings, winked at the hearts unknown. it was the sky, with the sun kindly left a little of its enormous light to be presented along the parade of pink and purple, side by side, before it actually goes to sleep. it was the sky and the clouds were painted all over the horizon with the techniques only God can do. some of the clouds looked like they were made of gazilion frozen snow, some looked like they were made of white, ripped silk fabric that a mother can't fix, some looked like groups of warm cottons, fragile and untouched.

it was the sky, pink and purple and orange, clouds and sunset. it was the sky, seventy-two hours away,and a happy birthday that went both too early and too late.

-----

happy birthday.

thank you for the chance of knowing you. be happy, and may the sun and stars always shine upon you.