And just then there was loud honking and the girls giggled. The groom and his side had arrived. I went down to receive them with Arya, her giggly cousins, loud aunties and some already drunk uncles. 

There where dhol and shennai playing Indian music as the Ashk and his relatives were welcomed with garlands and drinks.

“Hey Jiju (brother in law),” I said after the entire Talwar clan had welcomed the Kapoor's. 

“Hello saali ji (sister in law),” he teased back in his slight British accent.

“So all set? Nervous? What?” I asked.

He rubbed his hands and said, “Nervous definitely, but this is what I wanted, she's the one you know,” he said.

“Yes,” I said dreamily.

“But Saaliji where is my Dulhan (Bride)?” He asked.

“If you just look up, Jiju, you might just see what you want to,” I said and got up as Arya the perfect Indian bride came blushing in her salwar suit.

“Come quickly, someone's dying to meet you Arya,” I purposely yelled and that got made us the center of attraction.

Everyone looked at us and started laughing.

“Bitch,” she mouthed and sat next to Ashk.

******

Dinner was served in the lavish baithak and the families chatted and had a merry time. There were some Ashk's friend who were flirting their ways out with Arya's cousins and me. I was in this room full of happy people yet somewhere deep inside I felt like a lonely girl in her apartment.

“Hey Kalsi,” Ashk called out snapping me out of my trance.

“Yes,” I said putting on my happy face.

“I have a friend coming tomorrow from Canada, so will you please inform the hotel to pick him up,” he asked.

Arya hit him and said, “she's my maid of honor not your secretary, tell your useless friends to inform the hotel.”

“Sorry Sorry,” Ashk begged.

“It's fine anyway I’m on my way up so I'll inform the reception,” I said.

“Thanks Kalsi,” Ashk said.

I smiled.

“Aey you're not going anywhere, we're about to start with Antakshari, join us, anyway you're supposed to host that,” she said.

“Isn't everyone tired?!” I said.

And a loud Noo echoed the baithak.

I grabbed a mic and the never ending Antakshari session began.

We crashed at 2 that night.

******

Haldi was to start at 11 and the entire palace was shining bright yellow with flowers and majority of people wearing yellow and orange flowy clothes.

Arya looked stunning in her light pink and yellow lehenga with her jewellery been replaced by more flowers.

I ditched the lehenga and wore an anarkali. Entire clan was down and soon the rituals began and we applied Haldi (Turmeric) to the bride and the groom's clan did the same thing to Ashk but at a different location. 

Sheena Aunty applied some on my hands and face with the belief that it would bring me good luck and I too would soon get married.

After the ritual both the clans gathered for lunch.

Still covered in Haldi, we were busy clicking pictures when I heard a voice that made my heart skip a beat.

“Hey Bro,” he came with some Haldi in his hand towards Ashk still in his travel clothes.

Ashk smiled wide and they hugged, after that Ashk was brutally tackled down by his friend and completely covered in Haldi, Both Ashk and his friend.

“Arya come meet my best man Josh,” Ashk called out.

“Josh D’costa,” She said and turned towards me with wide eyes. Josh finally turned to look first at the bride who was obviously Arya and then towards me.

“You guys know each other?” Ashk asked.

“Yes, very well,” he said and moved towards Arya, he applied some Haldi on her nose and gave her a side hug, 

“Hello bhabhiji (sister in law)” he teased and she smiled awkwardly still looking at me knowing what he meant to me.

“Oh and Josh, meet...”

“Kalsi Venkiteshwaram,” Josh completed Ashk's sentence and smirked.

“Hey venky,” he said dipping his hand in the Haldi bowl and getting a good thick amount in his hand.

“Josh D’costa, I’m warning you, Noo,” I said knowing exactly what he was planning to do.

“Oh Venky!” be a sport and he ran towards me and I did the same.

“Go away, D’costa!” I yelled.

“You wish,” Venky and we ran.

I was quite fast till I dashed into a girl.

“Hold her Cheryl,” Josh called out and she smiled the same Josh like naughty smile and held me.

He came and rubbed the entire Haldi goop on my face.

“Aaaahhhh, I hate you!!” I yelled.

He stuck out his tongue and ran back to Ashk and his clan to meet and greet everyone.

“Don't mind him, Kalsi,” Cheryl said.

“Ofcourse,” I said and smiled.

“I am Cheryl, Josh's sister,” she introduced herself. “I've heard so much about you Kalsi, really,” she completed.

“Really, how nice,” I said and we moved towards the main event talking.

***********************************

 * Picture of Arya's Lehenga on the side