7. in the skin

THADAL

A wolf laid before me, sprawled on her side. Not just any wolf; my mate. Her fur was a dusted tawny color, with dark markings around her face and a slice of dark on her chest. Her chest rose and fell fast with exertion, body having finally given over to the stress and exhaustion. I ran my hand through her course fur and sighed. 

Something still wasn't right. I could smell it on her. Why hadn't they let her shift?

One part of me dwelled on the secrets still festering between us, but the other part took pride on her will. Through the pain of a prolonged shift, she fought until her body couldn't go on. She had strength within her, and plenty of it.

My fingers buried into her fur, brushing over her soft underbelly, the delicate skin in the hollow of her jaw bone, her velvet ears that laid flat against her skull in defeat.

We sat there for a long time, the Sun had begun to drift toward his lover's son; the Sea. I ditched my clothing in a pile by her, not wanting to track down a shed and leave her unprotectef. The shift to my fur side was easy, painless, and quick as it always had been. It was always the shift back to skin that quaked me to the brink of my pain threshold.

Mate finally roused as a raven screeched overhead. I snapped my jaws at it before resting my head back on her shoulder. I couldn't stop taking in her scent, I was unbearably greedy for it. As her eyes blinked lazily open, I nosed her cheek and licked her muzzle. She made a light rumble in her chest, leaning back into me.

A whine escaped her lips as she nuzzled my face before getting up in a deep languid stretch. Her ass raised high into the air, chest to the forest floor. With a big yawn, she raised up and shook out her fur as I bit back the urge to dominate her right there.

Stepping over to her, I nudged her head with my nose, huffing against her cheek. As she turned to me, a bit unstable like a fawn on new legs, I rubbed into her. She toppled over with a yip, tongue lolling out as she wiggled onto her back, absorbing the scent of soil and mineral.

I growled at her gently to still, beginning my thorough process of scent transferring. I didn't want her to smell of anything but me. Climbing over the top of her, I rubbed my chest into her sides, belly, legs. Tongue licking across her face, nipping at her jaw, neck against neck. Growls were rumbling deep within me and I needed to stop soon or else we would be mated whether she wanted that or not.

With much effort, I pulled off of her. Facing my behind to her in an effort to not smell the sweet scent of our arousal that drifted on the air. When she whined and nudged my foot, I snapped at her in frustration.

Suddenly, she was on my back, staggering me sideways. I reared my head to nip at her legs but she pulled away, getting used to her wolf legs. Akesis was a lithe wolf, swiftly darting between my legs and away from my jaws.

Before I could grab her up, she took off running. We chased through the underbrush for hours on end, never tiring, never getting over the thrill of being with someone you love. The taste of salt and her was sharp on my tongue. It lingered long after we touched last.

It was exciting, powerful, and connecting to sprint through my home woods with her.

We didn't need our words to communicate, managing just fine with our actions. It was beautiful.

When the Luna rose high in the sky, she turned to me, hazel eyes finding mine in the soft lunar light.

Can we head back now? Her words echoed in my mind, startling me. I had forgotten about mindlinking, which we could do now because I had marked her. It was a sort of telepathy held between wolves, used for communicating. Typically images were passed back and forth, but words could be sometimes as well.