Chapter 19 - Truth or Consequences, Not Just a Town in New Mexico

Okay, so remember how I said chapter 13, the Reign chapter, was long? I was wrong. Perspective is a bitch. This one is a bit choppy, my fellows, but there's a madness to my method. I thank all y'all for hanging in here with me so far. Less comedy here than in previous chapters, but we did need to get a bit serious for this one. We turn a corner, but I hope it's appreciated.

<><>

Smiling broadly as she walked into the kitchen, Kara said, "Mmmm, something smells good." She wrapped her arms around Lena from behind, kissing the other woman on the cheek.

Flipping a pancake, Lena smiled and pressed back into the contact. "Why thank you. I also made breakfast."

Kara laughed. "Yeah, I noticed." She nabbed a piece of bacon from the pile on the plate next to the stove, consuming it quickly. When she was done, she pulled Lena in a bit closer and whispered, "When I said something smelled good, I wasn't talking about the food."

Lena opened her mouth to respond as Kara walked away, but a playful slap on her butt had her jerking in surprise. The spatula squirted from her hand, and she juggled it back-and-forth from hand-to-hand before she had command of it again. Looking over her shoulder, Lena said, "Well, someone's feeling frisky."

Kara grinned from where she leaned back against the kitchen island, elbows for balance. "Yeah, I'm in a mood. Any suggestions?"

Turning back to the stove and flipping the last of the pancakes, Lena said, "Yes, but none in which you seem interested."

"You know that's not true." There were maybe two minutes of silence between them as Lena plated first the bacon and then the pancakes, and then Kara said, "So, you lied to me, Miss Luthor."

A plate full of food in hand and her back still to Kara, Lena said, "Excuse me?"

"Lena, you forget how good my hearing is. I don't try to listen in, but I hear things. When I was in the bathroom, I could hear you in the bedroom."

"You could...hear me?"

"Yup," Kara replied, the P popping.

"God, I'm so stupid," Lena muttered, her shoulders slumping. She turned. "Kara, I'm so, so sorry. I never wanted to be dishonest with you. I grew up in a household of liars, and the last thing I ever wanted to be was like them. Please believe me."

"Hey, relax." Walking over to Lena, Kara placed a hand on either of her shoulders. "I'm not upset with you."

"You're not? How!?"

Kara shrugged. "Lena, it's not that big a deal."

"I...It's not?"

Shaking her head, Kara took the plate and inhaled deeply. "This smell great. Are butter and syrup still in the fridge?"

"No, uh, they're on the table."

"Thanks," Kara said with a smile, kissing Lena's cheek. As she headed over to the table, Kara said, "I was surprised when I heard you, but I wasn't upset."

"I don't see how. I'm upset with myself for lying to you. Oh, you need utensils." Grabbing a fork and knife, Lena brought them to Kara.

"Thanks. Honestly, it's not that big a deal. I'm not sure why you didn't tell me the truth. It's just not something I understand. It does explain the way you were acting on the ride up here. I'm always going off in the car, and you were so pensive. It had something to do with that, right?"

Hands folded together in front of her, Lena nodded. "That was a lot of it, yes."

Taking a break from buttering her pile of pancakes, Kara smiled up at Lena and took one of Lena's hands in hers. "Well, now that I know, no more lying, okay?"