Chapter 6 - Letting the Kryptonian Out of the Bag

Kara paced back and forth in the Catco main area. She watched as the last reporter closed their laptop, walking away from their desk and going home for the evening. With a heavy sigh, Kara removed her glasses and scanned the whole floor. Everyone but Lena, James, and she had gone home, and the cleaning crew had yet to come in for the evening. Checking her watch showed they wouldn't be in for over an hour. That was plenty of time for what needed to be done. Putting her glasses back on, Kara nodded to herself, squared her shoulders, and headed toward the conference room where Lena was planning to work until Kara joined her for dinner.

"You don't have to do this," James said with arms crossed and am impressive scowl on his face. "We have options."

"What options?" Kara asked as she pulled to a stop in front of James. "Lena is in danger. The only option we have is to keep her safe, so that's what I'm doing."

As Kara stepped closer to him, James held out a hand. "What if Lena weren't in danger?"

"Well, that would be swell, but honestly, when isn't she in danger, James?"

James paused. "Okay, that's a good point. She needs to stop holding press conferences. There's just something about that woman and press conferences."

"And this town and press conferences. Put them together and..." Kara puffed up her cheeks, blowing out air suddenly. "Boom!"

James stumbled back from the gust the Kryptonian released, only staying upright when Kara grabbed his arms.

"Oops. Sorry."

"It's fine. Anyway, Kara, if Lena didn't have an assassin after her, would you want to go in there and tell her who you really were?"

"Who I really am?" A smile slowly formed on Kara's face. "Yeah, yeah I would. I've wanted to do it for a while. Alex is right. It's my decision, not the DEO's. The only person I've gotten to tell because I wanted to tell was Winn. Heck, Clark even told you without asking me, and that wasn't cool. I wish this had been on my terms, not because someone was trying to kill Lena, but given her track record, I may have been waiting forever if I waited for her life not to be in jeopardy."

"Yeah, but what about—"

"James..." Grabbing him by the upper arms, Kara carefully lifted the man and placed him off to the side then patted his shoulder. "Thanks for caring, but I've got this. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go protect someone from a Serbian assassin."

James waited until Kara was in the room until he mumbled, "No you don't." When Kara turned back to him, he smiled weakly and gave her a thumbs up.

Kara smiled back at James then cleared her throat as she walked the length of the room to see Lena.

Looking up at Kara, Lena smiled but then frowned slightly. "Kara, I must have totally lost track of time. I didn't realize it was already..." As she stood, Lena checked the time on her wristwatch. "Oh, you're early. Are you coming to cancel because I still have a lot of work to do?"

"Lena, sit down." Kara slid into the chair closest to the CEO.

"It's a sit-down conversation?" Lena asked her eyebrows rising even as she sat slowly.

"I'm afraid so."

She went for casual with her laugh as she asked, "Oh, good lord, who's trying to kill me now?"

Kara nodded.

Lena blanched and swallowed hard. "That was a joke. I was joking."

"Right. Sorry. It's going to be okay."