Chapter 9 - Bunk Beds

Okay, I think this is a good place to leave the rules for reading fanfic:

1. Don't drink while reading.

2. Don't eat while reading.

3. Don't read in a public place (school, work, on a bus, etc.)

4. Don't read around family members unless you're okay with odd looks and questions.

Lots of laughs ahead, so please be careful.

<><>

"Kara, please sign this?"

Looking up from her desk at Catco, Kara frowned slightly as Lena put a sheet of paper down. Nodding, she grabbed a pen and obeyed, jotting down her name on the bottom line. "There you go." As Lena walked away, Kara followed. "What, ah, what did I just sign?"

"Your notice of consent on an HR document. Thank you."

"My...my what?" With a little skip, Kara caught up to her boss. "Lena, did I do something wrong? Am I in trouble?"

"Not that I'm aware, Miss Danvers," Lena quipped, nodding as she passed an employee. "Why, have you something to confess?"

"I...I...no." Kara paused in the hallway, letting her morning's actions run through her mind before adjusting her glasses and following after Lena again. "Okay, so if I didn't do anything wrong, and I didn't, so I'm not in trouble, why did I have to sign a form that you're taking to HR?"

Stopping outside the office of the Director of HR, Lena held up the form to Kara and tapped across the top where the words, 'Notice of Consensual Relationship Agreement' were written.

Kara's mouth formed a little circle before she managed to say, "Oh. That's because we're..."

"Yes." Lena knocked on the door.

"Come in."

As Lena entered, Kara awkwardly trailing behind, Miss Dana Jackson rose and smiled. She was a fifty something year-old African-American woman who'd been HR Director of Catco for over a dozen years. She was kind and fair but lacking in work friends. There was just something about officially being in charge of the HR policies of a company like this that made everyone friendly but no one your friend.

"Ah, Miss Luthor and Miss Danvers, how lovely to see you both," Miss Jackson said. "What can the HR Department do for you today?"

"We came to drop this off," Lena said handing over the paper.

Taking it, Miss Jackson briefly examined the form. "I'm glad you brought this over to me. There's been some mutterings since you brought Catco, Miss Luthor. Nothing overt, of course, but people do talk. Having this officially on file makes my job a whole lot easier."

"Mutterings?" Kara asked, her mouth open as she gasped slightly.

"Oh, good Lord," Lena murmured. "Is there anything else you need from us, Miss Jackson?"

"That's the only form that the company requires you to fill out. I did notice you checked off domestic partner under relationship."

"You did?" Kara asked.

"Yes, we did," Lena stressed. "We are living together, Kara. After all, how long have we been dating now?"

"Um...golly, a year I guess," Kara replied.

"Golly." Lena laughed. "You're adorable. Miss Jackson, isn't she adorable?"

"Everyone says so," Miss Jackson agreed. "Anyway, do either of you need new beneficiary forms?"