Chapter Five

"The relay is coming up soon where classes race in an attempt to prove who has the most athletic ability!" Kaede squealed in the hallway before turning to Maki and Kaito.

"Are you two gonna try out?" Shuichi asked for her. Maki shook her head but Kaito put a grin on his face.

"Hah! I'm Kaito Momota! Luminary of the Stars! Of course I'm going to try out for the relay!" He exclaimed with a confident smirk. Shuichi shot him a surprised look.

"I thought you were the "soon-to-be Luminary of the Stars," what changed!?" He asked. Maki's eyes widened at the statement. Kaede turned to Kaito excitedly.

"Are you an astronaut now!?" She asked, her eyes literally sparkling. Kaito gulped, he shouldn't have brought his title into that statement.

"Well I will be soon!" He cried, causing Maki to slump back and Kaede to roll her eyes. Shuichi didn't seem like he accepted the slip-up too well though. Kaito bit his lip as he watched them leave, him staying behind for the relay try-outs.

There was a laugh behind him that Kaito swore he'd heard before. It didn't sound like a normal laugh, it sounded like a horse whinny. Kaito turned around to see Kokichi smiling up at Kaito. The smile seemed fake.

"Are you really signing up for the relay?" He asked. Kaito nodded, knowing every word he said would be ridiculed by this kid. "Heh, you probably just said that to look big in front of them." Kaito felt anger burble in his stomach.

"You might call me a liar but I would never lie to friends!" He exclaimed, staring the other boy down.

"I'm assuming that doesn't include me." Kokichi noted looking out the window next to his seat.

"Actually, I consider you a friend since you didn't decline the offer." Kaito commented causing Kokichi to whip his head around in surprise. "I would never lie to you, even if you lie to me." Kokichi had a look as though he didn't believe him but nodded anyway.

With that, Kaito went towards the try-outs room, with more energy after speaking with Kokichi.

-----

The other class cheered as the younger student crossed the finish line. Kaito sped up his pace and became a quick second place. He smiled at the smile that made its way on the other boy's face. He didn't care he'd lost, that look made it all worth it.

-----

"Kaito what happened!" Kaede questioned Kaito the moment they found each other in the crowd heading for the school.

"You were in first place the entire time and at the end just slowed down." Maki commented, her eyes narrowing as she gazed at Kaito suspiciously.

"I nearly tripped and had to slow down to catch my footing is all! The kid just happened to run past me!" Kaito explained, trying to ignore the disappointment and suspicion in the two's eyes. Just remember the kid's smile and excitement.

They looked as though they wanted to say more but the bell cut them off to Kaito's relief. As the two turned back towards their seat, Kaito grabbed his stuff and began to walk out of the classroom.

"Kaito!?" Shuichi called, surprised. His voice signaled Kaede and Maki who turned back.

"I'll talk to you guys later!" Kaito called ignoring Kaede's comment about him probably going after Kokichi. Whether she had good intentions or not, Kaito was growing bored of it. Bored? Kokichi was really rubbing off on him.

As he exited the classroom he noticed Kokichi's disappearing down the stairs. Starting to run after the other boy, Kaito sprinted towards the stairs, skipping every other step.

"Kokichi! Wait up!" Kaito yelled. Kokichi kept walking but allowed Kaito to catch up. "That guy was really fast!" Kaito commented as he caught up.

"Oh." Kaito was surprised by the answer. Kokichi was one who would normally say more about that kind of stuff. It's why he even brought it up in the first place.

"Hey, tell me your birthday, Kokichi." The shorter boy kept walking, as though he hadn't heard Kaito. "What's wrong?" Kaito asked. Kokichi finally stopped.

"You said you wouldn't lie to me." Kaito paused. How had Kokichi known...?

"Sorry," Kaito said, trying to come up with any other responses. "I just...felt that kid should win today."

"Oh," There was silence. "It's not like it matters anyway. We're both liars." The two had come farther than that day in the tunnel. Now they were back to the same words.

"Kaito!?" Kaito didn't even look at the one who had said those words. "Do you want to maybe walk home together?" It was Kaede. She probably had seen the majority of the whole thing.

While Kaede may have been annoying at times in 5th Grade, she could be a really good friend. Even then...

"Sorry! I left something in the classroom, go ahead!"

-----

Kaito peered around the corner and was relieved to see no teachers in the room. Sneaking in, Kaito found his way over to the desk of their teacher, Aoi Asahina. Shuffling through her stuff, Kaito came across the book of student information.

Opening the large book, Kaito flipped to the O's and searched for Ouma. He was so focused on finding the name, Kaito didn't even notice the door to the room opening.

"Ouma Kokichi. Birthday; June 21," Kaito read out loud.

"Ah, so you wanted to know Kokichi's birthday?" A voice asked. Kaito whipped around to find himself face to face with his teacher. Letting out a surprised sound, Kaito attempted to hide, to no use, the fact that he'd been snooping through Aoi's stuff.

"Miss Asahina, I apologize!" Kaito cried quickly, bowing in apology. As he raised himself back up, he looked up at the brunette, expecting punishment. Instead, Aoi just smiled at him.

"It's okay, Kaito. I'm going to take a wild guess that you asked Kokichi when his birthday was and he refused to tell you..?" Kaito nodded in amazement. Aoi looked over at the information book.

"You know, I'm surprised you were still in here when I came. There's actually a bookmark on that page." Kaito looked back at the book to see there was actually a thin paper bookmark on that page.

"Why do you have Kokichi's page bookmarked?" Kaito asked curiously. Aoi's eyes seemed to grow distant as she answered.

"Kokichi has always been..secretive. I was hoping to learn more about him through the book." Kaito nodded, knowing what she was talking about.

"This might sound out of the blue..but have you noticed the bruises on Kokichi's legs?" Aoi flinched and Kaito thought he might have crossed some boundaries but she nodded. "Why are they there?" Kaito knew it was rude to do since he knew the answer, he just wanted to know if she knew.

"Well, I believe they are there due to his family life."

"Can we do anything about it?" Kaito asked. Aoi looked down, and studied Kaito, her blue eyes piercing into his.

"I am unable to at the time, but you may be able to." She finally answered. Kaito nodded. That was all he needed.

(A/N : Man 1200 words, an extra 200 lol. Also, I was not expecting this story would ever even reach 100 reads! Honestly it feels like I've just been given a late Christmas miracle)