Chapter 35

Chapter 35

"Alex," yelled Jerry, startling everyone awake, "Thank God you're okay. Where did you go?"

Alex stared bleary eyed at her father, then she leapt up wide awake and started squealing and jumping up and down.

"Daddy, we found it again. I've got it-the Stone of Dreams. I can save everyone again! Make everything right."

Justin glanced at his dad. They both had the same thought. It occurred to them that Alex with the Stone of Dreams might not be such a good idea.

Alex looked at them and her heart fell. She couldn't believe it. They were doing it to her again, and she began to feel small inside.

"Daddy, I don't think you understand. I can wish for everything to go back to the way it was-and change time." She wailed. All those people in the Wizard World dead and injured... It was unbearable to think that she couldn't bring them back. "Justin..." she said beseechingly, tears running down her cheeks.

Jerry was beginning to crack. It did seem like a good idea to him the more he thought about it.

"No," said Hermione quietly. But everyone heard her and paid attention. "You can't change time on that grand of a scale Alex. Trust me. I know."

"But when I did it last time I changed things back so Max, Justin and I would be born. I made a mistake and our parents had never met... It worked. Everything went back to the way it was."

"That's because it was smaller," replied Hermione, "...and you were correcting what was already an error in the timeline. You were resetting your personal timelines back in sync with the rest of the world. This is too big, too much to change; and it would alter everybody in the world's timelines. Too much is at stake Alex."

Alex was crushed, heartbroken. Harry put his arm around her and brought her in for a hug while she cried. It wasn't fair thought Alex. It wasn't fair that all those people had died and that she couldn't bring them back. She understood why she couldn't, but the feeling that it wasn't fair ripped at her gut and sent her thoughts racing round in a loop.

Justin had been very quiet. He had been thinking about the Stone of Dreams.

"Dad." Justin said. "I know what to do with the Stone."

This time everyone stared at Justin. He cleared his throat.

"The Stone is magical enough to power the grid properly, with Object Magic. It can replace the old core that ran on Wizard Magic... And nobody will ever have to give up their powers again."

The entrance to the lair exploded knocking everyone to the ground. Alecto and Amycus stood grinning over them as the dust settled.