Chapter 12

Max finally found Justin lurking on the terrace. It was almost midnight.

"Hey, Justin, why're you hiding from Dad? He's been pacing back and forth for hours muttering something about Alex and a hairy otter!? What's that all about?"

Justin sighed. He would have to bring Max up to speed, if that was even possible. Unfortunately for Justin, not only was it possible, Max seemed to understand the situation better than Justin did.

"Dude you just left her there? Our sister?" Max often looked bewildered, but this time his expression seemed more like contempt.

"What was I supposed to do? I can't get her back, she's too strong for me! And as much as I want to sometimes, I can't put a really strong hex on her anyway, she's my sister."

"Well," said Max calmly, "I guess that saves you a little dignity... admitting that. Okay, so what are we going to do?"

"We," said Justin, "are going to do nothing! Alex has something weird going on with Hermione and that Potter kid. They can look after her. They seem to be used to that sort of stuff," he sneered.

"Dude, that's messed up. She's our sister. Whatever she does, we're all she's got to back her up."

"Not anymore, we're not." said Justin through gritted teeth. "She's got those two and Mason to back her up."

"Whaddya mean Mason? I saw him walking by the shop half an hour ago looking furry, drunk, and pissed-off!"

"WHAT?" Yelled Justin. "He took off too? Where's Alex?"

"That's what I'm asking you, you moron!" snapped Max. Justin felt like strangling him at that very moment.

"I'm telling you, there is something very strange going on Max. She made it clear that she was willing to duel for it." 

Max gasped... and rolled his eyes. A real wizard duel? With potentially painful results?

"So stuck between a rock and a hard place again, eh Justin. You're just going to have to decide which one is the rock and which one is the hard place. Wait, would that make Dad or Alex the rock... or the hard place--whichever one that is?" Max shook his head in disgust and walked away while Justin's hands closed around his imaginary brother's throat...