Chapter 18

By the time Rowle, Dolohov, and the Carrows had arrived at the hotel suite, Potter was gone. It had taken them a short while to track Potter from the airport. The cab-driver had given up the information without hesitation. But Alecto was hungry, and so they had wasted time waiting for her to torture the muggle. Finally Dolohov had had enough, and he announced that he was going ahead and that he would wait for the Carrows there.

Alecto was infuriated, why was she always rushed when she finally got an opportunity for some pleasure? She preferred muggle torture techniques because they were so much more inventive than the Cruciatus Curse. The process was part of the magic, and satisfaction could not be fully achieved if what should be savoured were rushed instead. Angrily, she grasped a curved blade, and slit the cabbie's throat. Some of the blood spray spattered her face. At least she got to see the light go out in his eyes and taste his blood. That was a partial release.

The extra time which they had taken wouldn't have made any difference anyway though, because Potter and his friends had clearly left hours before. The Death Eaters tried any number of spells to find traces of Potter's apparition trail. But the spells weren't working properly.

"There seems to be some sort of field that's interfering with our spells..." muttered Rowle.

"You think?" snapped Alecto sarcastically. "Of course there is, Idiot! If we want to find Potter we need to find the source of the interference and shut it down."

Rowle felt like using the Avada Kedavra curse on her right then and there. but he settled for blasting away at the suite with his wand. Amycus joined in the destruction, lazily flicking his wand. Meanwhile Alecto was conjuring a number of spells to detect at least the general direction of the source of the magical energy field.

Finally she chose a direction, based on her readings.

"Okay then, let's go. There's nothing more for us here."

As they disapparated Dolohov used a modified confringo spell to create a massive explosion which demolished the entire top floor of the world renowned hotel.