Chapter 17

The top of the Plaza Hotel had a big smouldering crater where the 20th floor should be, and emergency responders in helicopters were flying above the scene. Smoke stung Jerry's eyes. Harper screamed. Just across the charred debris Justin could make out two figures--a boy and a girl, both with red hair.

Justin whipped out his wand, but he was too slow.

"Expelliarmus," the red haired girl said, pointing her own wand at him. His wand flew out of his hand and she caught it smoothly. Justin cursed. He always forgot about other people having wands.

"Are... are you Death Eaters?" stammered Justin.

"Are you mad? Do we look like Death Eaters to you? So who are you lot then?" The girl gestured towards the cowering Harper and Jerry Russo. "What are you doing here?"

"I... We're looking for my sister Alex. She was here last night with Harry Potter and his girlfriend."

"Harry Potter and Hermione Granger were definitely here then?" the girl asked sharply.

"Yes... with my sister, Alex, and now she's... gone!" Justin couldn't pretend the tears running down his sooty face were from the smoke anymore. He shouldn't have left Alex. This was all his fault.

The red haired girl's features softened.

"It's alright you know. They weren't here when this happened. I reckon whoever did this, did it just because they were angry at being too late or wanted to make a point." She tossed Justin his wand back, "My name is Ginny, and that's my brother George. We've come to find our friends Harry and Hermione before Dolohov and the Carrows do. If you want to find your sister we should work together."

Justin looked to his father and Harper. They both nodded vigorously.

"Of course Justin, say yes! And... get us out of here please!" said Jerry.

A short while later, after everyone had cleaned up at the Russo's apartment above the Sub Station, the two Weasleys and the Russos sat around a table in the sub-shop, eating sandwiches and discussing the events.

Jerry put the news on the big-screen. Footage of the crater atop the Plaza Hotel filmed from helicopters was accompanied by a voice-over.

"At about 2:30 pm Eastern time an unexplained explosion rocked Manhattan when it took off the top floor of the Plaza Hotel today. We are being told that so far 7 bodies have been recovered, and 12 people are still unaccounted for. For more on this story we go to our own Elaine Gregory."

"Elaine, what can you tell us so far, is this the work of terrorists as some have suggested?"

"Nobody knows yet Michael. Fire Officials haven't even been able to determine the source of the explosion yet."

Jerry turned the news back down and turned to the somber group.

"This is bad--very, very bad. See what I was telling you Justin? Killing is fun for these people."