Chapter 16 - Client

ELVAM

Even though David warned us about the consequences of accepting the contract with Face Incorporated, we went through with it. These sorts of projects are usually handled by large marketing businesses and we are only a design studio, lacking perhaps strategy skills. We might even need to hire a few consultants to help us with that part, but no one could deny that it's an exciting opportunity for us to show what we are capable of.

When Andrea called to invite me for a lunch to discuss the project, I felt hesitant. Usually David handles the clients and the meetings. Everyone reassured me it was the right thing to do since she made the first contact through me, although they don't know exactly under which circumstances.

Right before I left for the lunch, I left Zack and Kaley arguing again. He made an idiotic remark about her day dreaming over a fuck boy and she burst. She's been moody and distracted, and I swear she had been crying when she came in this morning. But Zack should know when to stop. I'm not great at communicating, but those two are hiding something.

My reflection on the restaurant window makes me gain some confidence. It has been long since I've worn anything that isn't black, but I want to come across as a competent business man. As I open the door, the beautiful place brings bittersweet memories. My mom used to bring me to restaurants like this, just the two of us. My father would be away for weeks at a time and I think she felt I needed the extra attention.

Andrea waves at me from the table she and another woman occupy and the maître d' escorts me to them.

"Elvam, it's so nice to see you again," Andrea kisses my cheek and I feel a bit awkward at her affection. "I would like you to meet our CEO Jackie Stewart. Jackie this is Elvam Kadar."

I turn to shake the hand of Ms. Stewart, and she looks familiar. Her eyes also show a hint of recognition.

"Pleased to finally meet you. Andrea told me you know each other since college."

"We do. That's why working with her and Face Incorporated in this project feels like old times. I have read the brief and discussed it with the team, but I always find that it comes alive when we go through it with the clients."

"We are so excited about this project," Andrea begins. "As we discussed, and I sent you in the brief, we have completed the development of an organic line of beauty and skincare products for teenagers. Hundred percent natural and vegan. A soft palette for a natural look with products for hair, nails and face. In my head I see a simplified look with light wood, white, soft gold, pastels. Line illustrations on colored backgrounds. Here I have a mood board that is almost final, and we just got the store development plans from the architects. I'm sure you get what I mean, you always did."

My lips curl into a smile remembering the times Andrea and I paired up on projects in college and how she hasn't changed at all. Whatever idea she presented to me was beautiful and well-thought, and I couldn't help it but to agree with it.

"It certainly matches my initial thoughts. Does the line have a name?"

"We've called it Pure Bliss. We hope that your team can create a unique look and feel."

"Our team has the capabilities to meet your needs. Owen McKay and Nathan Larsen have both design and development backgrounds. So not only they can make a beautiful website, they are also experienced in e-commerce integration, if you eventually want to add it. Kaley Sloan will take on packaging design and Zack Valentine together with me will work on the branding and marketing materials. Andrea also knows Kaley and Zack from our college years," I say to Ms. Stewart.