Chapter 8 - Return

ZACK

Every time I hear the smallest noise, I glance towards the door to see if Elvam comes in. He said he will be here today and I want to find out why he disappeared so suddenly. We have been best friends for years and it pains me because I'm sure something isn't right with him, yet he doesn't confide in me.

Besides Kaley, the rest of the team is already here. David said she went home late, but her car is in the parking lot. I'm glad it was him who left last and not Nathan. I've seen how he stares at Kaley and don't like it one bit. I'm sure that given the chance, he would have made a move on her. That's why even though I was falling asleep in front of my monitors, I didn't want to leave until he did.

The door opens and Elvam finally comes in, heading immediately to his desk. My gaze moves to the bruises on his face and neck. He looks like shit, not that I look any better when I have been partying non-stop and living on pills to keep my energy up. Right when I'm about to open my mouth Kaley appears at the door.

"Elvam, where the hell have you been? We have been so damn worried about you. Oh my god, who hurt you?" She inspects his face when he turns around.

"I'm okay," he mumbles as he looks back towards his monitor.

Nathan and Owen seem to have heard her loud voice over the music in their headphones and stop their work to pay attention to what's going on.

"You don't look okay. You need to tell us what happened."

"Kaley, stop it," my voice comes out like a warning. Elvam gives me a grateful look.

"STOP IT? Zack, are you fucking kidding me? He disappears, sends cryptic messages and then comes back with bruises! I barely slept thinking if he was okay. Plus, we have been working our asses off here to cope with the workload. We all need an explanation."

I can't deny that she is right, but something serious must have happened. Disappearing or getting into conflict isn't typical behavior for him. The situation seems uncomfortable for everyone seeing that Owen and Nathan look at the ground. David stands up from his desk and holds Kaley softly by her arm. He whispers something in her ear and she nods, then they walk outside together.

"Guys, let's go back to work," I say and everyone returns to what they were doing.

Elvam's eyes lock with mine and I feel worried when I find them empty of emotion. He's never been a cheerful guy, but this is something different. I don't want to cause a bigger show than Kaley did, so I message him.

Are you okay?

Yeah, had a couple of bad days. That's about it.

Okay, let me know if I can do anything for you.

Can't do much about it. Is there anything left for me to do?

David updated the pipeline this morning. You might want to sit with him and see what has prio.

Thanks, Zack. For everything.

KALEY

The light breeze feels good on my flushed skin as David and I walk outside. I didn't mean to make a scene, but it shocked me to see Elvam bruised. Not getting a reaction or an explanation from him frustrates me so much. Who did that to him? But more importantly, why? Is he in trouble and can't tell us?

David places his hand on my shoulder and directs me to a small café nearby. I come here on the days when I'm fed up of the small studio space. After ordering something, David sits next to me in a booth. He then places his arm around my shoulders and I lean my head against him.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

"I can pretend I am, but I'm not. David, did you see the bruises? Why doesn't he tell us what happened? We could help him with whatever this is about."

"I know you want to help him, but you can't when you are exhausted. Let him be the one approaching you on this. Questioning him in front of us wasn't a great idea. He doesn't know us as well as he does you and Zack."

"I pooped it then."

"Sometimes it's best to not act immediately. Give him some time to settle and get in the normal rhythm. To me, it doesn't look as if he was looking for whatever happened to him. I'm sure he will tell you guys at the right moment."

"You are right," a sigh escapes my lips. It feels comforting being in David's company.

"What are you thinking about?" He asks.

"That you are good at calming me. You always come around with a cup of chamomile tea when I'm having a bad day, although this is different."

He smiles as a waitress places two cups of tea in front of us, and I'm charmed by his details.

"I'm glad I can be of help. I enjoy taking care of you."

The simple statement fills me with happiness. It's been a long time since anyone has done that for me. We enjoy the hot tea in silence, not for lack of topics to talk about, but to chill after what I did.

"We should head back. I need to apologize to Elvam."

David scoots out of the booth and offers a hand to help me out. When I stand, he pulls me towards him and gives me a quick kiss.

"That should keep me satisfied until tomorrow," he smiles cheekily.

I grin and wonder what's in store for me tomorrow during our date. We walk back to the studio and the moment I set foot inside, the room energy changes immediately. I ignore it and approach Elvam calmly. He looks up at me with distress.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" I whisper.

"Kaley, please."

I look behind me and Zack watches us with worry in his face.

"It's okay, Zack," Elvam says. "Let's go to the meeting room," he turns to me.

I close the door to the meeting room and sit next to Elvam. The simple action makes him tense. I can see it in the way he flexes his fists.

"I'm sorry," I hold his hand in mine. "Please forgive me for reacting like that."

"Forgive me for taking off without a warning. I didn't mean to leave you guys with all the shit."

"Who hurt you?" I caress his face and see a flash of pain in his eyes.

"Can we talk about it at another time?"

"I'll be here to listen when you are ready," I give a gentle squeeze to his hand.

We stand up and I see a vulnerable man in need of comfort. I place my arms around him and we hug hard and long.

"I love you, Elvam. Zack and you are the brothers life didn't give me. Never forget how much you mean to me."

"I won't."

We return to our desks and David smiles at me. Zack watches me through the small hole surrounded by sticky notes on the glass wall.

"We are okay," I say and he looks relieved.

I watch Elvam as he goesback to work. Things are not okay with him, and I hope he comes to us soon sothat we can help him.