Chapter 25 - Love

KALEY

Elvam and I sit in silence next to each other on his old bed. I've messaged David to let him know what's going on and asked him to not inform Owen and Nathan until we know more.

"I wonder if whoever did this robbed him too," Elvam says.

"Maybe someone followed him. He goes to those student parties often."

"Or he got a hot head and got into a fight."

"But here? He never brings people here. Not even girls. Maybe we should call the police."

"He didn't want to go to the hospital, what makes you think he would want the police?"

"Do you think he's into something... Illegal?"

"Who knows exactly? His behavior and attitude have changed lately and not in a good way."

The door opens and Cam steps in the room.

"Elvam, can you help me to bring him to his bed?"

Elvam and I follow Cameron to the living room where Zack now lies on his back. I'm not sure if he sleeps since both eyes are swollen and shut.

"I gave him a painkiller shot. He will be drowsy for a while. Let me hold his upper body, and I want you to support him at his knees," Cam kneels behind Zack's head and lifts him into a seating position.

Elvam does as instructed, and together they carry Zack to his bed. With difficulty, I pick up the blanket from the floor, then go to the kitchen to get a broom to sweep shards of glass, and to fill a bucket with water and detergent to clean the bloody floor.

"Here, give me that. You shouldn't strain yourself," Elvam takes the bucket from my hand.

"Cam, will he be okay?" I ask.

Cameron stares at the blood and vomit on the floor and shakes his head.

"Only time will tell. I wish he would go to the hospital. I stitched his head, but without x-rays I can't determine if he has fractures in his ribs where it hurts the most. He got a brutal beating and I fear that more than one person was involved," Cam rubs his stubble and lets out a shaky breath. "I don't know how this happened and he wouldn't tell me. He goes to all those parties and who knows which kind of people he's been in contact with. I can't think of any other cause for this."

"I'll try to convince him to go to the hospital," Elvam says.

"Here's a prescription for some pain killers in the meantime. If he wants to wash his hair, don't let him get the stitches wet, at least for a few days. You should call the police or bring him somewhere else until you are sure it's safe for him to stay here. Keep me posted on how he's doing and call me immediately if he agrees to come to the hospital."

"Thanks, Cam," I hug him after he closes his bag. When we separate, I see tears in his eyes.

"I have seen terrible things working in the emergency room, but something like this happening to him hits me harder. He's one of my closest friends."

"Go rest," Elvam pats his arm. "We are grateful you came to help."

Cam leaves, and Elvam and I look clueless about what to do next.

"David knows of the situation, but what are we going to tell Nathan and Owen?"

"The truth, or at least what we know which hopefully will be more soon. I will stay here during the weekend in my old room. Whoever messed the apartment wasn't interested in that one. You should go home and rest."

"No, I'll stay here too. He needs us both."

"What about David? Won't he be mad at you?"

"Not at all. That's one thing I love about him, he's an understanding man. Talking of him, let me give him a call."