Chapter 15 - Miracle

KALEY

David and I spent a good part of the evening looking up information online about risk pregnancies. We even found a practice which specializes in people like me and have appointments until early in the evening. That way, I won't have to make up excuses to Elvam and Zack as to where I'm going in the middle of the day. I will call during the lunch break for an appointment and hopefully they can see me soon. David's enthusiasm is contagious and I want to believe that it could happen, but I don't want to fall in love with the idea of having a baby to then get my heart broken again. If my body gets the pregnancy to term, it will probably be my only chance to become a mother.

I'm looking forward to seeing David, even though he left for work an hour ago. He kept me calm through the evening and reassured me this morning he will be there for me no matter what happens. As I walk inside, I find him sitting at his desk and typing fast while sporting a scowl. Owen laughs as Zack tells him something I can't hear. What's going on?

"Hey, there is the little liar!" Zack smiles wickedly.

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"This time, you can't deny it. I saw you with my own eyes. How was your date with Nathan?" He asks in a syrupy voice.

"I haven't been on a date with Nathan."

"See? You are lying Kaley, I saw you on Saturday at the food court with him, and then you guys went to the movies. Quite cheap for a date in my opinion."

I'm speechless and furious. This annoying bastard, who is supposed to be my best friend, is twisting the truth in front of my boyfriend. Elvam and Nathan come inside and stop at the tense atmosphere.

"Hey Nathan, weren't you at the movies with Kaley on Saturday?" Zack asks him over my shoulder.

"Yeah, we went to the movies. How do you know?"

The timing couldn't be worse. We were not on a date and I can't explain to David what happened without causing suspicion. My boyfriend stands up from his desk, keys in his hand and says something to Elvam before leaving.

"Where is David going?" I ask Elvam.

"He needs to run errands. Guys, what's happening?"

"Kaley went on a date on Saturday with Nathan. She's denied for so long that there's something between them and now I have proof," Zack says with a triumphant smile.

"Wait, we were not on a date," Nathan says. "Kaley was at the food court and I joined her at her table as I couldn't find anywhere to sit. While talking, we found out that we were going to the same movie, but it wasn't planned. It was all coincidence."

"Thank you, Nathan! I hope you are fucking happy Zack! Thanks for ruining my day," I turn and leave the studio.

I need to call David and explain it all. With the events of last night, I never got to tell him about what I did in the past days. He must think I'm playing him and that isn't true. As I get in my car, I dial his phone number but it goes straight away to voicemail.

"David, everything is a big misunderstanding. Please call me back. I never went on a date with Nathan. Remember, you are my only choice," I say desperately into the messaging service.

A big wave of nausea hits me and my breakfast makes it to the parking lot. When I feel well enough, I drive towards David's house and on the way there I call Nathan.

"Nathan, don't say it's me. Can you talk?"

"Sure, let me go outside," he whispers. I hear some rustling noises on the line, and then the soft whoosh of cars. "I didn't understand what happened before you left."