Chapter 38 - Baseball

KALEY

Mila and I have spent almost every evening cooking and crafting in the past two weeks. I love having her around. We are becoming good friends, and it feels like old times when the guys and I lived together.

She told me the reason she was brought to Lighthouse Home and my heart broke. I admire her determination to escape the life she lived after leaving, and I'm glad Zack and her have found each other. Zack told me about his substance abuse sessions and admits he's struggling to kick the pills habit. Spending time with us and having Mila at home gives him the strength to not give into temptation. His relationship with David has improved considerably too. He has seen how fun my boyfriend can be, even though he's so serious at the studio.

After all the hard work we've put into the Pure Bliss project, we needed a fun day together with good food. The day has blessed us with fantastic weather on this Sunday, making it ideal for a backyard barbecue. Owen and Nathan playing catch with a baseball, David cooks on our shiny new grill while Mila sits on Zack's lap. I don't know what they talk about as they whisper in each other's ear, but he grins. If Elvam were here, it would have been perfect.

We went to see him yesterday, and can see his therapy is helping. He looked happy and hopeful; said he's looking forward to join us again. Cemil came in as we were leaving and told us he got a place downtown. Elvam stared at him with a warm smile as he talked with us.

Ciara asked if she could help me in the kitchen, but I have to give her gentle nudges to stop playing with her phone and go back to cutting fruit. At her speed, we'll eat fruit salad next week. Out of the corner of my eye I see movement and turn around to see Julia walking towards the house. I head to open the door and I'm amazed at how pretty Ruby looks with her dark skin and wicked green eyes.

"I'm sorry we are late. Miss Funny Pants here hid my keys," Julia lifts an eyebrow to her daughter who tries to hide a smile.

"Hello, Ruby. I'm Kaley," I offer a hand and she shakes it.

"I got some desserts that need to be kept cold," Julia says.

"Let's hope the guys left space in the fridge. I swear we have beer to last us a few months," I chuckle.

"Ruby, don't get in trouble," Julia warns her daughter.

In the kitchen, I find Ciara finally working on cutting the fruit.

"When I'm done here, do I wash the knife and board or put it in the dishwasher?"

"You must be Ciara..." Julia says and Ciara looks surprised and confused. "You look so much like Owen."

"Oh, so you know my dad."

"Ciara, this is Julia, and she works with us," I add as an explanation for Julia's words.

"Nice to meet you," says Ciara. "I thought Kaley was the only girl at the studio."

Julia looks somewhat disappointed.

"Julia, you can put your desserts here," I open the fridge and move some beers around to make space.

"What you've got in there?" Ciara peeks over our shoulders.

"Coconut custard and pineapple cake," Julia says proudly.

"And you made them yourself?"

"Yes, I love cooking and baking."

"No shit! Dad tried to make a cake from a box mix and we almost had to call the fire department. You should teach my dad how to make fancy stuff."

"I would love to do that," Julia looks around us. "Crap, Ruby disappeared; she has a talent for trouble."