Chapter 41

Chapter 41

The wild flowers fragranced the air about her. The interwoven stems hidden in the abundance of petals. Her hair a soft curtain that bounced against the length of her back as she paced back and forth in her room. A room she had often felt closing in on her, and yet today it was small due to the amount of people she found within it. All smiling, whispering and giggling like young girls. Once she would have expected this as her due, now she could only feel ashamed at how she had treated more than half of the women currently within this room. Most currently ignored her after having talked of bridal nerves earlier. They just let her 'release the tension'.

The questions spun around and around within her mind. Unable to stop the worries, the chatter an annoyance which would not go away. Would he be there when she went below? Would this all turn out to be a jest by the clan to get her back for her past behaviour? Why sun set was the time chosen for the vows she could no longer remember. It seemed to her it was a torturous experience, the waiting.

A soft noise caught her attention, a noise she had never thought she would hear within this room. The rest of the room's occupants called out greetings, quieting at the shushing sound from the woman who had just entered the room. The feminine noises which took over the room caused a panic to flutter within her chest, she did not want to see and yet her feet turned her of their own accord. Rohesia was glowing in the doorway, the light from the open window shutters highlighting her golden hair. It was, however, the small bundle in her arms which had Larena's full attention. The small snuffling noises should have been fully drowned out by the babbling of the women. All she could hear, however, were those small inconsequential noises. In this room, where it had all happened.

She found herself walking towards the scene, wanting to be a part of it as she wanted to run screaming from the area at the same time. Her left eye twitched, the corner fluttering in her vision at it did so, her shoulders tensed and she found herself facing a woman she had had very little interaction with. But the smile upon her face was radiant.

"I do apologise for the intrusion upon this day and upon your room, Larena." Rohesia dipped into a small curtsey, her slight English accent making itself known in her soft tones. "Artair sent me to relay the news that Kendrick had been delayed but he will be here in time for your wedding. That you are not to worry, he just has to sort out an issue for his father before he can take you as his own."

Larena heard the woman, the old her she knew would be kicking and screaming at this news. The women around her knew this as well, each awaiting with baited breath as all she did was stare at the bairn. The logical part of her brain heard the news, and whilst part of her screamed that he was not coming, the larger healing part of her soul knew he would be here. It was the rest of her which was fully focused upon the small girl, bundled so snuggly in the clan colours. Her cousin's bairn had taken on the fine boned look of her mother rather than her father's side.

"Would you like to hold her?" The softly spoken question cut her to the quick. No one had ever wanted her to hold their bairn before. If anything they wanted her as far away from them as possible. She broke everything she went near...no she didn't, she had to stop thinking like that, and it would get her nowhere. Kendrick had told her she was worth it, and he would not lie to her, he had no reason too.

"You do not mind?" The shaky voice which emerged from her throat was unrecognisable as her own.

At the gentle smile and nod, Larena had to shore up her spine, not wanting to make a fool of herself.

"Come and take a seat and you can hold her. I hope you don't mind, it's just I'd like to sit too if you do not mind?" A look directed at the women around them, from Rohesia no less, had them dispersing back to their own groups. One to sort out the wedding wear, another to messing with her dresses which were to be packed. Another group were taking old dresses and sorting them into groups unknown to Larena in order to disperse them to the women of the clan...that had come as a surprise to all when she had said she wanted that instead of taking the luxurious dresses with her to the new clan. She wanted to be the new her in her new home, and that would mean making changes now.

Taking the stool by the hearth, she chewed on her bottom lip as the slight weight was deposited within her arms. It was as if she thought she would break the delicate bairn, but the steady breath and fluttering eyelashes against pink cheeks told a different story. Tearing her eyes from the small life before her, she looked up at the mother whose eyes were tired but the rest of her was radiant with life. She sighed softly as she sat on the stool beside Larena, slightly closer to the fire.

The slight woman reminded Larena of sunshine, something about her could not be caught and held, but it warmed all in its path.

"Do not tell my husband, but I have taken a slight chill since the birth and the warmth of this fire is most welcome." Sensing Larena's concern before she could speak it, Rohesia continued. "Nay, do not start. Tis nothing I assure you. But the warmth is needed in my weary bones right now." Larena felt her lips spread into a shared smile.

Knowing about Rohesia's issue with sound, Larena made sure to face her fully. "You have a beautiful child, God has surely blessed you." She was surprised to see the fleeting despair which flitted within the other woman's eyes.

"Aye, He surely has. Though my husband does not believe he deserves her in his life."

Larena could not believe that Artair would have any doubts. For him to think so and still have this little life in his was something which gave her a little light in her darkness. Not that he could have done anything to deserve it as she had.

"I am sure he does not think so, but I often wonder what my bairn would have looked like had they lived." Her voice was so soft she hardly heard the whisper herself. Those around her had not heard as they were still engrossed in their own conversations. But the woman next to her had spent a large part of her life reading lips as the only way to hear. So the slight gasp which left her had heat flaming into Larena's cheeks when she finally realised what she had done.

With a furtive look around Larena leaned forward, still conscious of the life in her arms, but her eyes locked with the woman before her. "Please do not tell the others. No one except Isla and Kendrick know. I beg you please." Trying to keep her face bland, so as not to alert anyone she could only wait for Rohesia.

"Larena, it is not my story to tell others. But I feel for the pain you went through. I can only hope you find the joy and fear I feel now. For even the fear that a life depends on me has its own special joy within it. Without us, she would not thrive as she was meant to. So I hope God grants you this feeling. You and Kendrick of course." With a gentle pat on the arm Rohesia stood moving her way over to Aislinn by the window. Yet what surprised Larena the most was the she left the child in her arms.

Kendrick rode his horse hard. He could not believe his father had done this to him, today of all days. Just one more rock to throw in the road he and Larena had travelled so far. They had made it this far they would continue to make it. It was obvious that his father had had no comprehension of his son's marriage, too focused upon his own affairs. It was the frustration that had made him snap at his father, but he could not find it within himself to be sorry for it. He had a wedding to attend. His own for the Lord's sake. Whipping left to avoid a low handing branch he carried on at break neck speed. He needed to get back to Larena, he could not take it if she thought he had left on today of all days.

Yet as the ground slid from underneath him, and with no idea what was happening apart from the world flying past him as he left the back of his horse. His last thought was of Larena when she had wished him a good eve two nights ago. He sent a prayer to the Lord above to allow him to see her once more before the world went black.